It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Question on Microsoft Word.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:37 pm 

A friend sent me a document which I then edited. I saved it but it's not in my Word files??? Where does it go? How do I find it ?

Post subject: Re: Question on Microsoft Word.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:23 pm 

Look for your downloads folder and see if it's in there. Open it and see if your changes are there. If so, click Save As and save it in to your Word folder.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:44 am 

Nope. Not in downloads. :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:53 am 

Open a Word document, and try clicking "Save As" (on mine it is F12, or click File at top of Word screen, then the Save As option). It will pop up a screen for you to name it, but that will show you in which folder it is automatically saving your Word documents to. It should be somewhere in "My Documents" or "Documents", depending on what your computer calls it, but it might be saving things in a folder within Documents. Doing the Save As will maybe let you know what folder to go looking in!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:08 pm 

Open Windows
Go to file (top left)
Choose File Search or Search from the drop down menu
Tell it what to look for

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:47 pm 

Sorry. :( You lost me at "open windows". ??? I have several windows open but I'm sure you mean something else. I have Windows Calendar, Windows Mail, Windows..... blah blah...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:15 pm 

Duh - Open WORD!

Sorry for misspeaking - I'm doin that a lot lately - makes me feel really dumb : (

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:16 pm 

OH- and that DUH is directed at ME not you! You drew the perfectly logical conclusion!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:08 pm 

Generally, when someone emails you a document and you open it from the email, it temporarily saves it to a "working" location with a really ugly name (actual example: C:\Documents and Settings\sbiddl\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\U1LSALNP\MyNewDocument.docx). You have several options:
1) When someone sends you something, immediately save it to your word document folder and open it from there instead of the email
2) When someone sends you something, do your editing and then choose "save as" and save it to your location.
3) When someone sends you something, work on it and click "save." The system might prompt you and ask you if you want to save the changes to the attachment, if it does, say yes. Now, when you open the email from your friend the attachment is your modified version.

Unfortunately, if you take none of those steps, you might work on something for a while, "save" it to the temporary folder, and have it all essentially vanish.

Check in your "My recent documents" from the start menu or the "recent files" in Word to see if you can find it. If you can't find it anywhere there, go to the C:\Documents and Settings\<whatever your username is on your system>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\ and look for it somewhere in a crazy-named sub-directory.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:32 pm 

AHA! Her Word and my Word are different "ages" so I had to click a special box that said to keep the format when saving.

That means I had to re-do all my changes. sigh