It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Benefits of Coconut oil
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:42 am 

I'm posting a new thread about Coconut oil, as there are many misconceptions about it's use and affect on the body.
There is a misconception spread among many people that coconut oil is not good for the heart. This is because it contains a large quantity of saturated fats. However, coconut oil is beneficial for the heart. It contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. The saturated fats present in coconut oil are not harmful as it happens in case of other vegetables oils. It does not lead to increase in LDL levels. It also reduces the incidence of injury in arteries and therefore helps in preventing atherosclerosis.

Other benefits are that it increases the metabolism and appears to be beneficial to weight loss. The Prism Christian weight loss program encourages their members to use Coconut Oil, replacing other oils in their members diets as they have seen marked results in weight loss when their members use this Virgin Coconut Oil.
The saturated fats in coconut oil are not harmful to the body as in the case of other high saturated fats, because it is a medium chain fat that the body can easily break down. Read more in a portion of the article I found on livestrong.

"According to a 2010 study in the "International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition," medium-chain triglycerides, or MCT, are triglycerides with a fatty acid chain length of six to 10 carbon atoms. These fatty acids differ from long-chain triglycerides because of their solubility in water, which leads them to be absorbed at a faster rate. This study reports that these triglycerides are less susceptible to being stored into adipose tissue stores. They are primarily researched for benefits in relation to health and exercise. There are several sources of these triglycerides.
Coconut Oil
According to the Mayo Clinic, coconut oil is a good source of medium-chain triglycerides. A report in Medical News Today states that when you consume coconut oil, it is not stored in the fat and also may boost metabolism. The report informs that unlike long-chain triglycerides, this source of triglycerides may therefore promote weight loss and prevent obesity."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/31643 ... z24fOxi8ig

Other benefits are that it increases the metabolism and appears to be beneficial to weight loss. The Prism Christian weight loss program encourages their members to use Coconut Oil, replacing other oils in their members diets as they have seen marked results in weight loss when their members use this Virgin Coconut Oil.

Post subject: Re: Benefits of Coconut oil
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:23 pm 

I'd like to know how to use it without making everything taste like coconut!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:18 pm 

I know you don't like the taste of coconut. Not sure what to tell you. Have you tried more than one brand of Coconut Oil? Some are more coconutty than others.

From what I have learned about Coconut oil, you can get it without the "coconut" flavor, but it is more refined, and that is the sole purpose I am using Coconut Oil...to offer my family oils that are not refined.

Same as with garlic oil that doesn't have the garlic "smell" to it. It has the good stuff taken out of it, thus diminishing the medicinal properties.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:28 pm 

I love coconut. It's not that, but I'm having a hard time to find instances that I want to use it. Like if I wanted to fry a pork chop, I wouldn't want to to use coconut oil. I don't want it spread on my toast. I tried using it in icing but how healthy is that with all that sugar? I certainly can't fry an egg with it. How are you using it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:14 pm 

The research I've done so far on coconut oil has not persuaded me that it is more healthy than other saturated fats. So many of the current studies are simply correlational, and the populations studied have *lots* of other lifestyle differences that might also account for the differences.

With our family history of heart disease and stroke, it's not a gamble I want to take until there are more studies done of a different sort.

But, my sister likes it. I asked her how to use it, and she says she uses it for low-temperature sauteeing of vegetables, such as bok choy. I know other people who simply put a spoonful in a smoothie. Indian, Indonesian & other tropical cuisines have recipes that are very compatible with Coconut flavors. I've seen a lot of recipes for coconut rice (usually with cilantro & garlic, I think). You might try googling something within those cuisines for more recipe ideas. If I were trying to get more coconut oil, I would try my Indian recipes first.

I've also heard it's good to top popcorn : )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:21 pm 

Ew, popcorn? lol I have used it as hair conditioner and body lotion. Smells great for those. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 pm 

I've used it for popcorn for over 2 years, and as a body moisturizer, and just started using it for a hair conditioner. It's too oily for my hair to use after I shampoo and I find it works great as a conditioner if I put it on my hair and wear a plastic cap or plastic grocery bag on my head for a half hour or so before I shampoo my hair, otherwise, if I shampoo first, then condition and try to rinse it out, my hair is SO greasy, it doesn't even look like I've washed it, and that's just from a little bit.

We make stir fry all the time, using Coconut oil with veggies from our garden, make fried rice with it, and fry eggs in our cast iron skillet with it. We also cook a lot of thai food and use it in our green curry sauces.

LOVE the way it conditions my skin, and have used it as a moisturizer on my face as well. I take 1 Tbsp per day in my oatmeal as well, instead of the peanut butter I used to use. It's lower in calories than the peanut butter.

See links below:
http://www.nutrition.org/asn-blog/2009/07/coconut-oil/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dinin ... wanted=all

This last one was impressive regarding heart disease and cholesterol.
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-f ... oconut-oil

We also use Extra Virgin Olive oil to cook with, but when it comes to asian cooking/thai cooking, our family's preference is definately Coconut Oil. We make a lot of dressings for salads and raw veggies our of Olive Oil and fresh spices/dried spices from our garden as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:28 am 

I've used it for popcorn, frying eggs, spread on toast (but I don't eat much bread any more), used with stir fry, in baking... When I find the taste too overpowering in something I'm cooking, I make a note of it and use something else next time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:46 am 

Here's a type of coconut oil that isn't supposed to taste "coconutty". I haven't personally tried it, but for those of you who don't like the taste of coconut, it might be worth checking into by purchasing a small jar of it to see if you like it.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/expel ... ut_oil.htm

Also, since responding to this discussion, many friends and associates have been sending me info on coconut oil uses. Here's a pretty extensive link I received this morning.

http://www.hybridrastamama.com/2012/08/ ... t-Oil.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 am 

CindyLouWho wrote:
Here's a type of coconut oil that isn't supposed to taste "coconutty". I haven't personally tried it, but for those of you who don't like the taste of coconut, it might be worth checking into by purchasing a small jar of it to see if you like it.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/expel ... ut_oil.htm

Also, since responding to this discussion, many friends and associates have been sending me info on coconut oil uses. Here's a pretty extensive link I received this morning.

http://www.hybridrastamama.com/2012/08/ ... t-Oil.html

I use the Tropical Traditions brand and nothing tastes like coconut after frying.
I love it!

I've also used the one from Mountain Rose herbs, (see Marthas link), this one has a very strong scent and will overpower many dishes, but we LOVE it for pancakes!