It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Anna offline
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:34 pm 

I received a message from Anna's dh today saying she would be offline for a bit because of a TORNADO! :shock: They are fine but cold as they have no power. :(

Poor Anna! She's always cold anyway. Please keep them in prayer.

Anybody else being hit?

Post subject: Re: Anna offline
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:18 pm 

Thanks be to God, the power came back on this AM : )

I'm so grateful for the electrical & emergency workers who helped us thru all this.

Thanks so much, Sis, for letting everyone know! Y'all's prayers are much appreciated.

The hot shower & central heat, dishwasher & washing machine are SUCH lovely luxuries! Not to mention, the joy of having the internet again!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:23 pm 

YAY! So glad you can warm up again!!!! And *shower*!!! Eeeeek!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:34 pm 

Here's a little video that shows pretty well what happened. What they can't capture on tape is that Vicksburg is very heavily wooded and hilly. Every street (seemingly) was blocked by a tree lying down on a power line. Or, power poles snapped and the wires hanging. So, it has been a huge job for those wonderful people who string power lines and cut trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bz3PwxirCg

and, yes, Sis - it is GREAT to have a shower and hot food again. The apartment got all the way down to 63. I caught a cold! (I know, I know -some folks keep it at 63 on purpose, and I was VERY grateful that this was a Southern spring storm - not a NE winter blizzard!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:24 pm 

Here's ours - it was the tuesday before you got yours. Wonder if they're related?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pullman+flood+video+2019&&view=detail&mid=65023B62B180F209C78A65023B62B180F209C78A&rvsmid=38446C145688471E87C438446C145688471E87C4&FORM=VDMCNR

It was pretty localized and we didn't have the wind causing damage - ripping off roofs and stuff. But people were stuck inside businesses and windows had to be broken (by the fire department and other official peoples) to rescue them. Flash floods like this are uncommon here. We kind of expect "some" flooding with the amount of snow and the warming up and rain we were getting. But THIS? NO so much. I don't think there were any power outages except for the buildings with the water damage maybe? Or maybe i'm just out of the loop.

WE have had our normal basement flooding issues - the sucker is running even now. But I've had electricity, heat and showers the whole time!

Does your building not have an emergency generator?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:09 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh, my goodness! That is HORRIBLE! So glad everyone's okay!

Yes, I do suspect the storms across the country are all related.

No. We don't have any generator here. Really, with the mild climate, there's little need for such things, except during the occasional winter cold-snap. And we're in mid-priced apartments. To complicate matters, we're not even allowed to have candles (lease forbids because of fire risk in multi-occupant dwellings). We DO have a fireplace - but no tools & no wood! Thanks be to God, we were really fine thru it all - except this pesky cold. And, there are even restaurants open only a couple of miles away - we just had to navigate downed power lines & trees to get there. We're VERY glad to be back up now : ) Just spent a huge amount at walmart, restocking for part of our food loss, and buying cold supplies. (You can never have too many puffs with lotion!)

Sorry about your basement. I have a little idea how frustrating that can be!

They're predicting more possible storms tomorrow - so don't worry too much if our power goes out again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:08 pm 

Stock up on hand and foot warmers! sigh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:01 pm 

Glad your power came back quickly, Anna. Last night my friends back in central Texas lost power. We are expecting that storm here late tonight, early tomorrow morning.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:33 pm 

It was quicker than I feared - two and a half days.

But, long enuf that the food was ruined, and we learned to appreciate our luxuries like hot coffee & showers & a microwave a little more!

Thanks be to God, it wasn't any more serious than that : )

Hope you're safe thru the coming storm, Briva. We have one over us right now, but so far, so good : )