It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: A.D.D. student
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:35 pm 

I am not SURE but I think my occasional sunday school drop-in has a pretty severe case of ADD. I wouldn't say he's hyperactive but his attention span is dismissive. He literally seems to DISMISS anything I ask him to do.

He was my only student a couple of weeks ago so I tried to get to know his quirks. He suggested doing a puzzle. We dumped a floor puzzle out and began separating the flat edges. While we sorted I asked him questions about what he enjoyed doing.

To every question about his interests he said something like, "yeah, i'm not very interested in that" or "I don't really like that". He's pleasant (and a very handsome boy). His home life is pretty good as far as I can tell. I know there's been some alcohol abuse (his dad doesn't have his license and his mom was a known alcoholic) but they seem to be getting their acts together. His dad dotes on him and does stuff with him. I know his mom tried to homeschool him for awhile because he had issues at school. It's his dad that brings him to church when he comes.

So, how can I best teach this kid? It must be hard when the other boy in the class is a few years younger and knows the answers and can read when he struggles so much.

Post subject: Re: A.D.D. student
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:15 pm 

Well, I'm no psychologist, but it sounds more like Depression than ADD to me. Not-interested-in-anything is a classic symptom of Depression.

And, two alcoholic parents is probably not "pretty good" home life. I'm glad they're getting better, but the child has had a lot to deal with, and his road isn't easy.

I wrote a blog post about Sunday School for kids with home struggles a while back - this might have some ideas for you : ) http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-tale-of-two-sunday-schools.html

Also - some of this is simple pop psych, but there are certain patterns that children of alcoholics might fit in sometimes - researching them might help a bit:
https://aca-arizona.org/types-of-adult-children/

Post subject: Re: A.D.D. student
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:11 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well, I'm no psychologist, but it sounds more like Depression than ADD to me. Not-interested-in-anything is a classic symptom of Depression.

And, two alcoholic parents is probably not "pretty good" home life. I'm glad they're getting better, but the child has had a lot to deal with, and his road isn't easy.

I wrote a blog post about Sunday School for kids with home struggles a while back - this might have some ideas for you : ) http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-tale-of-two-sunday-schools.html

Also - some of this is simple pop psych, but there are certain patterns that children of alcoholics might fit in sometimes - researching them might help a bit:
https://aca-arizona.org/types-of-adult-children/

Perhaps. I'll keep that in mind. When he said he was uninterested it seemed more like a "too cook for school" kind of thing but I don't know. He could be acting out the Lost Child.

I really like the blog post in the little tweaks on traditional sunday school methods that are less threatening to visitors or those that don't come regular or have academic issues. My dh was one of those, too. I tho't I was going to have to say "oh no, are you one of THOSE" but you didn't go there. ;) I know the kids aren't in charge of whether they can get to church or not so i'm careful not to give prizes for attendance. HOWEVER, I like to track who's there for which lessons so I can re-do those when they are there. I review a LOT. :mrgreen: I like the AWANA way of reviewing 3 previously learned verses along with the new one. The Bible Study Guide for All Ages is good on review, also. I've not hit on the perfect curriculum yet. Sometimes i think i want to write it myself but OH the time that would take! And i do not have the tools i would need for such a big undertaking.

Anyways, thank you for your input. Very helpful. :) This kid may have endured a lot but he's young enuf that he may not remember. His oldest sister definitely acts like the mommy, tho'. She seems older than she is. That's not all bad. She even ran her own second hand store last year! (She's in jr hi.)