It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Another classic case from public school
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:24 pm 

http://www.wlbt.com/2019/03/07/boy-forced-wipe-ash-wednesday-cross-off-forehead-utah-school/

He explained (he shouldn't have had to) - the teacher STILL forcibly wiped the Cross off his forehead.

I appreciate that she apologized and all, but the fact that the first impulse in public schools seems to be the eradication of all signs of Christianity - that bothers me a lot.

Post subject: Re: Another classic case from public school
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:26 pm 

I got a bit distracted by a heading below the article that said "the flu is still a major treat". :roll:

It seems a bit odd that this hasn't come up before, doncha think? Was this teacher ignorant of the ash cross? Altho', honestly, *I* have never seen it at school myself and I grew up in a rather big Catholic area with a large school. Hmmm.

When my granddaughter wanted to take her Bible to school for show and tell she was told by an assistant that she couldn't do that. She came home that day and told us that and we immediately called the school. They were apologetic and said that the assistant misunderstood and that of COURSE a student could bring a Bible to school AND show it for show and tell. It's just ignorance.

Not sure how I would feel if some other religious symbols were allowed in school, tho'. (Can't think of any off hand.)

Post subject: Re: Another classic case from public school
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:54 pm 

Well, I have a young friend (who goes to public school) and wears a pentagram. *I'm* not comfortable with that - but I'm SURE the school doesn't dare stop her. Christianity is the only forbidden religion in this country.

Sorry about your DGD's experience - that's horrible! At some point, excessive ignorance just becomes bias. I mean, if a teacher "ignorantly" used an ethnic slur? . . . .

(And, growing up, chances are your Catholic friends were simply gone from school the rest of the day - these services often are late enuf they don't allow the kids to return to school after)