It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:15 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: I am still learning.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:50 pm 

I am almost 63yo. I've basically been a Christian "all my life"! And yet, i still have so much to learn!

I do not consider myself a gossip but things have begun to surface where i can see that my flippant tongue has caused problems and pain.

At church today i was listening to a woman GOSSIP about a woman that GOSSIPS! :lol: One of the things she told me was something this other woman said about ME! :mrgreen: I have no problem with that. I wish people would just be straight up to begin with. But she mentioned a time that i said, "Oh, Kathy can do it" and Kathy took offense. *I* was being flippant. Kathy is an extremely organized and get-er-done kind of person and she did have the situation in hand. But she was taken aback that i would "expect" her to do it. (I hope that made sense?) I did NOT expect her to do it.

And there's the dumb fb post i made where i said my siblings "didn't want" to take care of the parents. Again, flippantly. Just something to say that wasn't meant AT ALL.

There have been one or two other things like that where i am seeing that people have taken things i said much differently than i meant them but... i am learning not to be flippant. I try to measure my words before i say them and "my" humor will be kept more to myself.

A friend put a "poster" on fb that is Jesus saying, "You don't understand what i am doing, but someday you will." John 15:7

All i can think of is "He must be doing the new math"! I did not POST that! See? I'm learning. (I did ask what Bible that was in as that is NOT what John 15:7 says at ALL.) I figure by the time i am 70 i will be a functioning mute!. :?

Post subject: Re: I am still learning.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:11 pm 

It's a struggle for all of us, Sis. AND - just because someone else is offended doesn't mean that it is ALL your fault. Apologize for whatever you did, but don't guilt yourself out to excess. Being over-sensitive is also a sin.

My Mom used to tell a joke:

In a certain congregation there was a lady who was a HORRIBLE gossip. This disturbed the Pastor greatly, because the lady always stirred up trouble & dissention everywhere she went. One day, he decided to fix it. He preached a scathing sermon on the sin of gossip. As he made every point, he looked straight at her.

At the end of the service, she came up to shake his hand, beaming. She declared, “GREAT sermon, Pastor!” then in a scathing tone, slyly added, “Too bad the people who NEEDED it weren’t here!”
;)

So, Yeah, people gossip about gossips!

Post subject: Re: I am still learning.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:04 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
It's a struggle for all of us, Sis. AND - just because someone else is offended doesn't mean that it is ALL your fault. Apologize for whatever you did, but don't guilt yourself out to excess. Being over-sensitive is also a sin.

My Mom used to tell a joke:

In a certain congregation there was a lady who was a HORRIBLE gossip. This disturbed the Pastor greatly, because the lady always stirred up trouble & dissention everywhere she went. One day, he decided to fix it. He preached a scathing sermon on the sin of gossip. As he made every point, he looked straight at her.

At the end of the service, she came up to shake his hand, beaming. She declared, “GREAT sermon, Pastor!” then in a scathing tone, slyly added, “Too bad the people who NEEDED it weren’t here!”
;)

So, Yeah, people gossip about gossips!

LOL No worries. I might've been like that when i was younger but i don't have the energy any more :P