It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: When is it YOUR turn?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:10 pm 

One of the young men at church kind of "lost it" today. You could tell that something had been building up and he just let loose (before church started). Some of the things he said have me scratching my head but other things have me questioning if some things are being neglected.

I am very much a "live and let live" kind of person. I might not appreciate some of the styles the young women wear to church or the way they go over their husband's head when dealing with their kids or how the talk but i am happy they are there and i guess i've just overlooked some things.

This young man mentioned that one of the young couples at church, the wife in particular, was confronted by one of the women in the church about the way she dressed. My reaction was :o , that's wrong! But as i've tho't about it thru the day Titus 2 came to mind. Who ARE the older women that are to teach the younger women in the church? What is their role and where is the line? Is it more wrong to say something to the young women or more wrong NOT to?

My gut reaction is to take it to the pastor or wait until he asks someone to speak up or teach but that's not what Titus 2 talks about.

Post subject: Re: When is it YOUR turn?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:29 pm 

There's a fine line between "teaching" and "meddling" (St Paul is not a fan of the latter ; )

There's a story in our tradition of a young woman who walked into a Church for the first time, and was confronted for her dress by some other folks. She walked out - perhaps never to return. Met. Anthony Bloom was the Priest there, and he instructed those who had offered the criticism to pray for that young woman for the *rest of their lives* - because the burden of her soul was now theirs.

Teaching DOES need to be done - but in the proper spirit, time & place.

A formal *class* for young folks, where Godly attire is one of the many topics, is definitely in order, IMHO. Church Camp would be a good place to start.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:17 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
There's a fine line between "teaching" and "meddling" (St Paul is not a fan of the latter ; )

There's a story in our tradition of a young woman who walked into a Church for the first time, and was confronted for her dress by some other folks. She walked out - perhaps never to return. Met. Anthony Bloom was the Priest there, and he instructed those who had offered the criticism to pray for that young woman for the *rest of their lives* - because the burden of her soul was now theirs.

Teaching DOES need to be done - but in the proper spirit, time & place.

A formal *class* for young folks, where Godly attire is one of the many topics, is definitely in order, IMHO. Church Camp would be a good place to start.

Church camp? I'm "assuming" you mean for kids? This is an adult married woman.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:35 pm 

Well, there IS such a thing as family camp. We went when we were kids.

But, yeah, I mean teach it to the kids - so that when they grow up, they KNOW. By the time a woman has been dressing this way for 15 years, its kinda hard to fix.

I spoke with a Protestant Pastor one day, and he said he had from the pulpit told the ladies in the congregation to dress modestly, because they were a distraction to HIM. They gasped, scandalized. He said, "I have four kids. How do you think I got them?!"

So, it does make sense for SOMEONE to say something ; )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:49 pm 

I am so glad our pastor is the one who deals with these issues. When summer starts he has printed in the bulletin a reminder, complete with Victorian-era pics of ladies and gents, to please cover neck to knees no shorts or tees.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:34 pm 

Briva wrote:
I am so glad our pastor is the one who deals with these issues. When summer starts he has printed in the bulletin a reminder, complete with Victorian-era pics of ladies and gents, to please cover neck to knees no shorts or tees.

I love it! : )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:03 pm 

But, when is it YOUR turn?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:20 am 

1. When your clergyman asks you to.
2. When you're dealing with your own family or a close friend who looks to you for advice.
3. When you're teaching a class at Church where the topic fits in well.
4. When you feel a definite prompting from the Holy Spirit - and you deal gently and compassionately with the situation.

(Just out of the curiousity - the young man who "lost it" - what was he upset about?)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:35 am 

I am also a live and let live type. I would rather be a good example. Most of the older women I know who still dress (what I would call) provocatively, are on their 2nd, 3rd, etc marriages or not married at all. That's not God's plan.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:55 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
1. When your clergyman asks you to.
2. When you're dealing with your own family or a close friend who looks to you for advice.
3. When you're teaching a class at Church where the topic fits in well.
4. When you feel a definite prompting from the Holy Spirit - and you deal gently and compassionately with the situation.

(Just out of the curiousity - the young man who "lost it" - what was he upset about?)

I don't know what triggered his outburst. He's skipped church a few times lately. Either he skipped because something happened that bothered him (maybe that woman) or his "guilt" for why he missed church a few times? I'm just guessing.