It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Be nice to dummies!
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:59 pm 

Sheesh! I called the local tire place to price tires. *I* don't take care of the tires, dh does! So, i figured it was like windshield wipers - you need to know the make and year of your car and they tell you what you need. Nope. There are different sized rims? on the same car? Why? And there are different treads and i don't know what all. My tires scare me because they are so cracked looking and the tires on the other car scare my hubby cuz they are so worn on the inside. It would be REALLY bad for me to have tire issues driving to and from the hospital! sigh

There aren't used ones for the Honda but maybe for the Mitsubishi.

ANYWAYS, my point was that the girl i talked to made me feel like i was wasting her time asking her these questions. She just kind of hung up after i said thank you. :?

Post subject: Re: Be nice to dummies!
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:20 pm 

If your town has a different place, try it : )

I have NO idea about tires - the few times when I had to deal with them, I just drove (or more often "had towed") my car into the tire place and asked them what to do.

But, IMHO, having someone you can TRUST in the tire business is paramount.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:04 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
If your town has a different place, try it : )

I have NO idea about tires - the few times when I had to deal with them, I just drove (or more often "had towed") my car into the tire place and asked them what to do.

But, IMHO, having someone you can TRUST in the tire business is paramount.

We used to be "loyal customers" and were treated accordingly. I guess it's a GOOD thing not to have to go to the tire store so often!!! But, we no longer know the people that work there. I'm ready to go to Walmart! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:17 pm 

Walmart is a LOVELY travel destination :D

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:32 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Walmart is a LOVELY travel destination :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:26 pm 

No, not wallymart! They once ' changed' my oil and didnt! Dh does not trust their employees with tires, either.

We've always had good service at Discount Tires. Don't know if you have that franchise there. What I do, yes dh trusts me, I ask for the least expensive tire for my car. We buy two at a time. Ask that they replace the worst two. We always have at least two good tires and we get them rotated at each old change.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm 

My wife has always had a good experience with Les Schwab. When I started getting tires a Walmart, she insisted I switch to Les Schwab. They have always been great to deal with.

The best thing to do is just take the car in. They can determine what kind of tires are currently on the car and go from there. The size is marked on the sidewall of the tire. Yes, the same car can take different sizes, and you don't want to mix and match. They will also know whether you can switch one tire, or two, or you have to replace all four. Different cars are picky about matching tires.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:39 pm 

Scott Bryce wrote:
My wife has always had a good experience with Les Schwab. When I started getting tires a Walmart, she insisted I switch to Les Schwab. They have always been great to deal with.

The best thing to do is just take the car in. They can determine what kind of tires are currently on the car and go from there. The size is marked on the sidewall of the tire. Yes, the same car can take different sizes, and you don't want to mix and match. They will also know whether you can switch one tire, or two, or you have to replace all four. Different cars are picky about matching tires.

Good to see you Scott! :mrgreen: My problem is solved. I was iffy about driving 130 miles on them at highway speed but i needed to go see dh in the hospital so i went. He had called the LS up THERE and THEY made arrangements to come pick the car up from the hospital, put the new tires on and bring it back, PLUS give us a veteran's discount! They were great to deal with. All of the tires needed replacing, imho. They looked cracked and weather worn. I don't know how long tires should last but these were 6 years old.

(I did look for the "size" on the sidewall. Whatever!!!! They don't make it easy! :? )

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:04 pm 

At Les Schwab, if they see a potential problem, they will let you know. They caught my wheel bearing going out when I went in to have a flat fixed. What you are describing on your tires sounds like UV damage. If it was bad enough to be a problem, they would let you know.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 pm 

Scott Bryce wrote:
At Les Schwab, if they see a potential problem, they will let you know. They caught my wheel bearing going out when I went in to have a flat fixed. What you are describing on your tires sounds like UV damage. If it was bad enough to be a problem, they would let you know.

That's not surprising since it spent most of its life in Costa Mesa, CA. ;) It didn't really matter what they saw this time. *I* needed t see better tires for my own peace of mind. They were scary looking! Only 15000 miles on them but still!