It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: "Wheat belly"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Owner

Here's an interesting article about the myth of "healthy, whole grains" and how you can lose weight by giving up wheat products.
http://boingboing.net/2011/10/26/tritic ... belly.html

Post subject: Re: "Wheat belly"
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:09 am 

I have seen a lot of people lose weight and get healthier by getting off wheat.
We haven't had much processed wheat in a very long time. I can't even stand the taste of "fluffy" bread. Occassionally, I must admit, after having lived in New York City for a short time, I got hooked on a good bagel and I get NY Bagels from a bagel shop in Scottsdale, from time to time, when I'm down helping my parents. When you think about it, sugar and wheat are often combined, so it's not wonder those two items combined are causing "wheat belly".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 am 

I know I feel so much better, and it's easier to keep my weight under control when I cut out - or severely limit - wheat and sugar. And of course I love both!!!!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 am 

I too have lost a lot of weight eating whole grains. (I lost 70# ten years ago - 50# stayed gone - I'm having a disagreeement with those other 20!)

This guys arguments troubled me a bit, he discussed GMO wheat, then generalized to all wheat, then to all whole grains. And, he didn't document his big claims - at least not in the article. Again, no clinical studies cited. He vilified foods for strange reasons - a food that raises blood sugar quickly isn't necessarily bad - pineapple and watermelon do the same, and I see them as healthy.

I agree that too much white bread (which I've been guilty of lately) can be bad for the waistline. And too much sugar (which I've been guilty of). But the people I know who eat bulgur or brown rice & veggies or brown rice cakes, tofu & sprouts are not the ones who have the weight problems.

He also didn't discuss those who see huge success from eating lots of whole grains - like those on the McDougall plan - which has been around forever (going on 50 years I think!) with lots of successes.