It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:00 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Healthy lifestyle?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:49 am 

Taking all this time to sit and watch my mom suffer thru pneumonia/bronchitis and congestive heart failure gives me plenty of time to think about my sedentary lifestyle. :? And my awful eating habits! I've gained back 5 lb of the 18 i lost. :cry:

Meanwhile, i read articles and make lists and dream of a better lifestyle. :mrgreen: :roll: :roll:

Now, to incorporate all these things into my reality. sigh

Post subject: Re: Healthy lifestyle?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:15 pm 

We grew up doing yard work together, mowing, edging, trimming and raking leaves. That keeps me active. There is a lot of hauling plants, potting soil bags, digging...I do a lot of walking here, the grocery store is two blocks away, dollar general is half a mile and the farmers market is a mile. I use those 3 & 5 lb hand weights to strengthen my arms. I have an old injury that I have to keep correcting or my left arm loses muscle tone (I twisted it badly avoiding a fall).

When my mom and aunt were in their 70's they took up walking. It was after my dad had his heart attack, he joined them when he got his strength back. You could never stop him after that. I am a fan of simply walking.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:39 pm 

I would be a fan of "simply" walking but it's not available to me! LOL Just going one block in any direction, and back, requires hills. This is the time of year to begin, tho'. It's still cool out but not cold. I actually prefer the treadmill. I can watch a movie, or watch my breathing and movements, or just walk, and it counts my time and distance. AND, i don't have to return home when i'm worn out! I can't wimp out because of weather. I need more than walking, tho'. And i don't do yard work!

Sheesh. I'm tired just from writing about this. I need a nap. :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:57 am 

The treadmill is "up" because of the water in the basement so i did go walking outside. I looked specifically for which way had the easiest route home.

Looking east to west the road goes like this: ___/***\___ Our house is on the *** hill.
Looking north to south the road goes like this: \ (slightly exaggerated)

So, i went north a block, east a block, north a block, west a block, south a block, east a block and south a block. I think! :mrgreen: It took almost 10 min and my feet were all itchy when i got home. Not used to wearing shoes!

Under 5,000 steps is considered sedentary and i'll have about 4,000 when i go to bed. I'm aiming for 4,000 steps everyday this week.

Got my shopping list ready. Hope to go tomorrow. I love new beginnings!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 am 

Sis wrote:

Got my shopping list ready. Hope to go tomorrow. I love new beginnings!

:)

I am really glad to have left TX. Out in the rural area, sometimes I could not go outside because the farmers were having their crops sprayed. I would bring in the dogs because the air was chokingly bad. Here the air smells different, cleaner.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:03 pm 

Yay! I got 4088 steps yesterday, and 16 floors! :) And 4 hours and 44 min of sleep!! Woohoo!
I'm having a smoothie of 1/4 c instant oats, pineapple, blueberries and 1/2 banana, plus my strong coffee with 1/2 and 1/2. No sugar tho', so that's better than normal.

Mom had a bad night last night and i sat up with her til 2:30.

I need to get some good food ready to grab so i don't default to junk.

I'm so glad our air quality is good. I grew up in Los Angeles back when the smog was horrific. Here it's generally only bad if there are fires to the west of us. They do spray the fields but i only seem to get that when i'm driving to town. bleh

I need to go walk around the block and take a shower. It's a beautiful day outside, but cool. :)