It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Fashion advice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 pm 

I'm talking to a lot of Moms lately who have the same problem - their little girls are growing fast- and out of "girls" sizes. The only clothes that fit them are "teen" clothes - but teen clothes are overpriced, cheaply made and horribly 1mm0dest. Which is not the look you want on your little one.

This is not a new problem - I remember it from when *I* was in grade school (and I'm not a young Mom!)

Anyone here can recommend any brands/ work arounds?

I really don't want to take up sewing - tho it conceivably could come to that.

Post subject: Re: Fashion advice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 pm 

I see lots of layers. I should think you could layer things to create modesty. ??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:03 pm 

Well, that's a start.

But, I hate to have to buy THREE low cut, paper thin tops to put on top of one another, and an extra pair of pants to cover the first pair that say "se*y" across the bum, ya know? :roll:

Are there any companies that just make the stuff right & modest in the first place - without being a place only the Gates and Bezos families can afford?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 pm 

I used to sew stuff for my oldest girl but when we moved to TX I found Marvin's dept store. They sold dresses, slips and camisoles and tights. They are long out of business.

For my youngest I found Justice For Girls clothing store. Not all their stuff is appropriate but they did have dresses and modest tops. They had some kind of purchase bonus like kohl s where you got $10 off your next purchase. I see they are online to.

I was still able to find camisoles at target but I made her tiered half-slips.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:42 am 

Sis wrote:
I see lots of layers. I should think you could layer things to create modesty. ??

Nonono. You have a tank or simple first layer - kinda like a leotard - doesn't need to be fitted. Then the flimsy pretty things go over the top. Very 20's, actually. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:39 am 

I see, Sis : )

But my problem is a lot of those "flimsy pretty things" are sug ges*tively cut, or plumb
tr amp y looking. AND overpriced AND poorly made! I want a *wholesome* look for a kid - not just "covered up"

Thanks for the Justice suggestion, Briva - others have suggested that, too - when I see their things out and about, they have "peace signs" all over (which are horribly un-Christian) - but maybe I can find better stuff online.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm 

Simple tank tops from walmart are cheap. My dd wears them under a lot of shirts. You can buy several in basic colors that go with anything.

However, I know what you mean about clothes. They all seem to have skulls on them around here. When dd was growing out of girls clothes it was very hard to shop for her. Most girl clothes are "s3xy".. Ugh.. Have you looked at name brand outlets? You may find things at lands end, or tractor supply co. They are less inclined to be "trendy" and lean towards the practical.
I know there are others but I cant think right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 pm 

Thanks, Tory - there's a tractor supply store right by us : )

Lands end might be a good bet, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:09 am 

When my dd was younger we'd buy tank tops from walmart and she would wear them backwards under an open button-up shirt. She loved longer skirts too.
She's 24 now so I don't know if that's a style younger girls still might like.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:09 pm 

Thank y'all for the help! I'll certainly look into layering options - and I'm delighted to see that both Lands' End and Justice have "big girls'" sizes (which didn't EXIST when I was a kid!) Our local tractor supply only had about 2 t shirts in the target size range - but I'll keep them in mind - maybe when the seasons change they'll get more : )