It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:42 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Body "positivity".
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:52 pm 

I've read some discussions on this topic but i think it's like talking religion. Everyone seems to be coming at it with a different starting position and the language used doesn't have the same meaning to everyone in the discussion. :?

I try to understand my mom's viewpoint as her first take on someone is their physique. Whether it's a tv personality, someone at church or someone she sees on the street, their physical appearance will be part of the conversation if she's mentioning them. Their weight and hair seem to be the biggies.

If someone's cute but fat she will wonder why in the world they don't DO something about their weight. SHE did. (I guess if you're not cute it doesn't really matter if you're fat.) According to her she ate 800 calories, vegan, and lost 50 lb in 2 months. :roll: Yeah, well, if she did, it was not the healthy way to do it!

I came away from the discussions with no understanding of what "body positivity" is supposed to be. Personally, i think it's just buzz words. We all have our own issues and gained or lost weight for different reasons. I love my body because it seems to respond well to the effort i apply. It's my mentality i have a problem with! Making myself stick to any routine or way of eating or thinking is very difficult. My body reflects that. :? I cannot apply that to others, tho'. I don't know their journey.

Anyways... today is potluck. sigh I'd like to skip it, honestly. So few people do stay that i feel obligated to stay. Dh made something - meat and beans, i think. I made corned beef at dh's request. Mom made taco salad. I know there will be fried chicken from one family - they always bring fried chicken. Can't wait to get home. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Body "positivity".
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:59 pm 

Sis wrote:
I've read some discussions on this topic but i think it's like talking religion. Everyone seems to be coming at it with a different starting position and the language used doesn't have the same meaning to everyone in the discussion. :?

Lol. Gee, I know some big people who are cute, or handsome. You are right, for some being the "right" weight, whatever that is, can be a stuggle.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Body "positivity".
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:31 pm 

Some of us are just much more visual than others.

DD will know who was wearing a green shirt at a party we went to three months ago. I cannot even tell you if the people we saw YESTERDAY were CLOTHED - much less WHAT they had on! ;)

I suppose if you ARE one of those visual people, it's hard not to notice all the little details!

But, even those of us who aren't visual still tend to dwell on the superficial if we aren't careful - their education level, possessions, lifestyle healthfulness, child rearing choices - etc.

But, St. Paul says we ALL love our own bodies!

I suppose valuing others for what is TRULY valuable about them is a tough goal to attain - one that we all need to strive for!