It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: "The Story"
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:47 am 

I have begun reading "The Story" and i don't like the way it says "Of all His creation, he singled out two humans to build a relationship with." Doesn't that sound like there were more than two to choose from? It sets the stage for all kinds of speculation. :?

Post subject: Re: "The Story"
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:19 am 

I tend to agree that I might not have phrased it that way myself. But, it's not wrong. Adam lived to be about 900 (if I recall correctly) and by the end of his life, the world had LOTS of people. And, throughout the Biblical Genealogy, God does choose a certain line on which to bestow His Blessing. (Abel, Seth, Jacob, etc)

Their website looks like they're coming from a pretty solid background - I'd give it more of a chance. EVERY translation I know has SOME issue that I take issue with - none is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
I tend to agree that I might not have phrased it that way myself. But, it's not wrong. Adam lived to be about 900 (if I recall correctly) and by the end of his life, the world had LOTS of people. And, throughout the Biblical Genealogy, God does choose a certain line on which to bestow His Blessing. (Abel, Seth, Jacob, etc)

Their website looks like they're coming from a pretty solid background - I'd give it more of a chance. EVERY translation I know has SOME issue that I take issue with - none is perfect.

Oh, yes. I'm not throwing it out... yet. ;) But, this is IN the garden.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:18 am 

I agree - it should NOT say that in the Garden of Eden. I see that as a major flaw.

and now, I'm puzzled. "The Story" that I'm familiar with was published in, perhaps, the 90's - and I can find no trace of it. This one IS new- and I don't know much about it.

I'm finding that it is from the NIV - I loved the old NIV, but the modern one mistranslated passages to make them "gender inclusive" which I see as, well, dishonest and very disturbing.

So, I don't know what to make of this. Keep me updated - I'll be interested to find what you learn!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I agree - it should NOT say that in the Garden of Eden. I see that as a major flaw.

and now, I'm puzzled. "The Story" that I'm familiar with was published in, perhaps, the 90's - and I can find no trace of it. This one IS new- and I don't know much about it.

I'm finding that it is from the NIV - I loved the old NIV, but the modern one mistranslated passages to make them "gender inclusive" which I see as, well, dishonest and very disturbing.

So, I don't know what to make of this. Keep me updated - I'll be interested to find what you learn!

They seem to have 2 versions? Mine is the NKJ rather than NIV. I did see there was a choice and didn't really know which to choose. NIV went gender inclusive?! :roll:

Dh calls NIV either the "nearly inspired version" or the "north Idaho version". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:29 pm 

The quote you started the thread with doesn't seem to be NIV OR KJV :?

Does it MATTER which "translation" if what they say is found in neither? :x

I hope this isn't an indication of the rest of the text. Sorry I said it was okay only to find I was misguided/mistaken as to what we were talking about. :(

From what I found recently, the NIV went "gender inclusive" perhaps a dozen years ago. I just had no clue because MY copy didn't change ;)

Will look forward to hearing what else you find. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:43 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
The quote you started the thread with doesn't seem to be NIV OR KJV :?

Does it MATTER which "translation" if what they say is found in neither? :x

I hope this isn't an indication of the rest of the text. Sorry I said it was okay only to find I was misguided/mistaken as to what we were talking about. :(

From what I found recently, the NIV went "gender inclusive" perhaps a dozen years ago. I just had no clue because MY copy didn't change ;)

Will look forward to hearing what else you find. :)

After a section they put in a little paragraph to kind of "sum up" or maybe it's a segue into the next section where they "fill you in" on what happened between two sections in order to move the story along??? It's in that part.

Mom is on chapter four! I'm gonna have to try to catch up with her so i can field any questions or bring up any other points they've messed up. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:49 pm 

Okay - I'll overlook it MUCH more easily in the "segue" section : )

If it's got your Mom interested, that's a huge blessing! : )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:48 pm 

Noah - "And of every living thing of all flesh you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. Of the birds after their kind, of animals after their kind, and of every creeping thing of the earth after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive. ..... Of clean animals, of animals that are unclean, of birds, and of everything that creeps on the earth, two by two they went into the ark to Noah, male and female, as God had commanded Noah."

Do you see anything wrong with that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:04 pm 

They edited out the 7 (or 7 pair, depending on translation) clean animals thing, huh?