It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Doggie problems.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:41 pm 

sigh Our 5yo dog will NOT tell us he needs to go outside to go potty. :( He tells us he wants to go for a run. He lets me know when his master is home. He knows he should go potty outside because he acts so guilty when he's gone inside but, unless he is in the same space with us, he will not tell us he needs to go out.

We're talking about getting rid of him for this reason alone. :(

Post subject: Re: Doggie problems.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:54 pm 

Sis wrote:
sigh Our 5yo dog will NOT tell us he needs to go outside to go potty. :( He tells us he wants to go for a run. He lets me know when his master is home. He knows he should go potty outside because he acts so guilty when he's gone inside but, unless he is in the same space with us, he will not tell us he needs to go out.

How long has he done this? If this is something "new", then he might have a bladder or urinary tract infection? Are you going to bring him the vet?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:57 am 

My dog is 8 and she will sneak to go in the house. She loves being outside, too! She'll tell us she wants to go out... But later waits until I'm out of the room to "go' on the floor. I have finally broke her off pooping inside. But not the pottying. She'll even go in her crate, or on a rug if I lock her in the kitchen. She does'nt care! No punishment works.

Some dogs are never house-broken and I know some here disagree. And that's ok, but after having her since she was 6 weeks old and nothing has worked on her. She is trained, just refuses to obey. I think breed has something to do with it. Some breeds are more prone to it.

My other dog is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 am 

StacyinTN wrote:
Sis wrote:

How long has he done this? If this is something "new", then he might have a bladder or urinary tract infection? Are you going to bring him the vet?

NOT new. :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 am 

Tory wrote:
My dog is 8 and she will sneak to go in the house. She loves being outside, too! She'll tell us she wants to go out... But later waits until I'm out of the room to "go' on the floor. I have finally broke her off pooping inside. But not the pottying. She'll even go in her crate, or on a rug if I lock her in the kitchen. She does'nt care! No punishment works.

Some dogs are never house-broken and I know some here disagree. And that's ok, but after having her since she was 6 weeks old and nothing has worked on her. She is trained, just refuses to obey. I think breed has something to do with it. Some breeds are more prone to it.

My other dog is awesome.

The one thing that COULD be an issue is separation anxiety - but it's not always the case. If he's in the bedroom with us at night he will sometimes go out to the next room or two and poop. He hasn't "gone" in the crate, thankfully! So, that's where he gets put now if we're leaving. I HATE it.

It doesn't help that we have no schedule at our house. I like to be on a schedule if dh is gone but if he's home, it just doesn't work. "Retirement", ya know. :P Well, we never DID have a schedule, actually! :lol: Only getting the littles off to school. That helped some. Now we have NONE! First school year with no students!

But, i think he did go once in the house even when i was doing the whole schedule thing. I didn't find it so i don't know when he did it - before or after dh came home. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:57 pm 

For my dog, I can be home all day and walk her routinely. It doesn't matter. My other dog is wonderful in comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm 

Tory wrote:
For my dog, I can be home all day and walk her routinely. It doesn't matter. My other dog is wonderful in comparison.

:?