It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Harvey
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 am 
Site Owner

Category 4 hurricanes are nothing to mess with. People should get away from the coast for those. It's not the wind that is dangerous. It's the storm surge.

Do you know what the worst natural disaster in U.S. history is?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:23 am 

Tory wrote:
Our Shelly B is supposed to be on a cruise out of Galveston, I think. She is waiting somewhere in Tx to find out if they'll be able to go. I read online that there is a cruise ship full of passengers in the Gulf waiting fpr the storm to pass so it can dock!

I also read that the Austin airport was advising people to call them before driving to the airport. (or attempting to drive in that storm).

A cruise ship is one thing but FLYING near a hurricane is ludicrous! IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:49 pm 

I think thats why they were telling people to call first. I would hope flights were cancelled. However, I shoyldn't be amazed (but I still am!) at peoples inability to make their own decisions in these cases. People are already blaming Trump, the Government, officials of any kind for this disaster. "They didn't tell me to leave."
:?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 am 

Katrina was a cat 5 this one is worse because it is not moving just hanging around and around.
Sandy i do not know what she was maybe a 4.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm 

Houston had plenty to learn from Allison in 2001 (tropical storm strength winds with lots of rain) the message to evacuate caused gridlock and people trapped in their cars in the flooding. So no call to evacuate from the mayor this time. A reporter on Fox news says she evacuated 24 hours before it reached the coast.

It's lowland/bayou and construction should really be elevated and solid concrete, not wood framed homes. So the guilty folks are the city planners for allowing home builders to sell $$$expensive$$$ homes in a flood plane.

I moved into a flood plane. It's why I know at the first inkling of a storm, grab the pets and pictures and head north to higher ground. Even if it's just a tropical storm, it can quickly escalate like Harvey did from a 1 to a 4, or it can stall.

Pray for those people in Houston, their lives will be disrupted fro years to come.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26