It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hurricane Harvey
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:42 am 

If you dont have one, consider a car charger for cell phones and kids electronics. My boys found a battery pack thing that can be charged up and it holds the charge.. Thats useful for after power is out. Its like an extra battery.

You can charge the phone in your car and the battery pack too if you have the right cablles.

Go to a dollar store and look in the party supplies.. Get glow sticks. We buy them by the dozens. Yellow is best, but anyrhing is better than nothing.
We used them to light up the walkways through the house after dark. Safer than candles and they are cheap. Its also a fun thing for the kids.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:06 am 

Lisa you are too far inland for a tropical storm warning or even Flash flood. You are up around Austin or right below it right?
I have relatives in Houston area, no telling what they will do.
We up here may or may not get rain from it.
Texas has not had a category 3 hurricane since the 80's. So south Texas not prepared for anything.
I would stock up on food and water somehow. at least the food. none parishable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:01 am 

Tory's car charger idea is good - if you can find one.

I got one for my Mom years ago, after she had a power out caused by a winter storm & was left phone-less because of it (landlines went down, and the cell had no charge). It made me more comfortable knowing that she wasn't totally helpless at her house if the power went out.

After she passed away, I find many uses for it - like charging the computer on long car trips, and charging my cell phone when I forget to do it at home. I leave it in my car most of the time.

Mine is vaguely like this (but much older, and looks more like an indoor power strip)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHHOZB0?aaxitk=8MUG8uxcwZ23LN5fK1GA9A

Purchased water is good - but like Tory says, fill the bathtub, buckets - extra heavy duty trash cans -whatever - so that you have flushing water, dishwashing water, and sponge bath water. If you end up not needing it, you can always just pour it back out (of course, keeping your littles safe from it will be more of a challenge.)

If you have a good, smalltown police/fire dept, give them a call and let them know your situation and ask them to keep an extra eye on you. Mom's fire dept was great to do that when asked in a tough situation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 am 

Here's the gov't list of things you might want to think of - it might make a handy double-check to make sure you've thot of everything

https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am 

LindaS wrote:
Lisa you are too far inland for a tropical storm warning or even Flash flood. You are up around Austin or right below it right?
I have relatives in Houston area, no telling what they will do.
We up here may or may not get rain from it.
Texas has not had a category 3 hurricane since the 80's. So south Texas not prepared for anything.
I would stock up on food and water somehow. at least the food. none parishable

No, we are under a tropical storm and flash flood warning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:34 am 

I do have a car charger that I got for when we go camping. I will look for glow sticks, that's a great idea!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:50 am 

LisaTX wrote:
I do have a car charger that I got for when we go camping. I will look for glow sticks, that's a great idea!

:D

You're doing great, Lisa :)

90% of these warnings turn out to be not so bad - but it's good to be prepared just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:42 am 

Also find someone you can text with during the ordeal. During hurricanes here a text will go through when a cell call will not. I'll be glad to PM you my cell if you want. Tory and Reise kept me sane and grounded texting with me when we had Hurricane Irene here and I was terrified during the worst of it. Make a hand written list of emergency numbers, utility company, etc. so if you need them during power outage you aren't having to try to look it up on your phone. We are pretty rural here but our local radio stations broadcast live TV station audio from our closest TV stations during hurricanes, if you have a battery powered radio. Charge up battery DVD player if you have one. Freeze ice in paper bags and freeze bottles of tap water, will help keep freezer cold and give you extra ice if power goes out.

You can look up how to purify water for drinking with bleach. I have directions in my hurricane box but don't remember the ratio. If you lose power, have your text buddy look things up for you so you don't drain your battery or data.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm 

Lisa we invested in a five-day cooler years ago. Took it camping and it does work. We stack a few bags of ice in it and they lasted 5 days. Most flooding I have seen in TX is Houston-area, La Grange area is low-lying and anywhere by the rivers.

We are keeping an eye on Harvey because they said it will stall and may head back out into the gulf. Don't want it wobbling this aways. We live in an evacuation zone. If it's a hurricane, we leave. We can weather a storm. I have enough candles to last me to the next century, lol. Also got a coleman propane stove, fuel, matches, batteries, water stored. I used to have a 55 gal plastic drums that filled with rain water. That would fill and be useful for filling the toilets. Got to get some for here.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:23 pm 

Briva, the collecting rain water is a great idea!! I'll rwmember that for n3xt time!

Lots of great ideas here in this thread. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next