It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Homeschooling those teachable moments
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:11 pm 

So, today was the eclipse and we spent a bit of time on it - learning about it, making our viewer, observing it.

While we were watching it, I talked with the neighbors whose kids are PS. they said that the kids would be watching it on TV in the classroom. They wouldn't have glasses or viewers to view it themselves. In fact, they're not even allowed to go outside all day - not even for recess. I guess they're afraid one of them might look up.

A total virtual world. "Let's turn on the TV and watch nature, kids!"

Post subject: Re: Homeschooling those teachable moments
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:25 pm 

I saw something online, not sure which school district(s), but they were keeping the elementary kids inside, and just giving the Middle/high school kids a warning. They also said they would have glasses available. I think some of the schools around here made viewers, but I'm not sure. I can see the schools not wanting to be liable if someone's kid goes blind. It's not like they ever go outside anyways!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 pm 

Ok, I found an article that said there was no district-wide policy, but that some schools would have lessons geared towards learning about the eclipse and some schools would have the students go outside to view it, while some would watch it streamed online. We alternated between going outside to look, and watching some of the TV coverage (showing the royal eclipse). There was also a show on PBS about the eclipse. Tonight at AHG, they are going to talk about the eclipse and work on patchwork to get the eclipse patch. I think Christian is doing the same thing in Boy Scouts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
I saw something online, not sure which school district(s), but they were keeping the elementary kids inside, and just giving the Middle/high school kids a warning. They also said they would have glasses available. I think some of the schools around here made viewers, but I'm not sure. I can see the schools not wanting to be liable if someone's kid goes blind. It's not like they ever go outside anyways!

The county schools around this area and in different states did cancel school on Monday because they did not want to be sued by any parents that kids' were stupid enough to look at the eclipse without the glasses on. That is why they cancelled school and put the kids in the hands of their parents.