It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: It's so hard
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:51 pm 

Yes, If it were me I'd keep doung the alphabet and reading aloud to him... Well read aloud to all of them. Fun srories, like "the wheel on the school" and "mr. Popper's penquins"....

Fun rhyming stories, like" the weather works".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm 

Not sure what you are using, but if it's not working try a different approach. What is your goal? To learn the alphabet or to be able to read?

Here is a free resource, an old McGuffey primer that I used with my dd. I printed off a new lesson when she mastered the previous one. The first lesson is the alphabet, you can print it off or just use it from the computer screen. It's simple sentence reading lessons, you learn the letter sounds and practice the words, there are picture helps. Its progressive, getting harder adding more words each lesson. It took awhile, but dd got confident being able to build her reading vocabulary.

http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=nietz;cc=nietz;view=toc;idno=00acy5488m

What I was trying to suggest is whole word learning, like c-a-t is cat. Once he recognizes that word you go back and teach the letters and their sounds.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 pm 

Briva wrote:
Not sure what you are using, but if it's not working try a different approach. What is your goal? To learn the alphabet or to be able to read?

Here is a free resource, an old McGuffey primer that I used with my dd. I printed off a new lesson when she mastered the previous one. The first lesson is the alphabet, you can print it off or just use it from the computer screen. It's simple sentence reading lessons, you learn the letter sounds and practice the words, there are picture helps. Its progressive, getting harder adding more words each lesson. It took awhile, but dd got confident being able to build her reading vocabulary.

http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=nietz;cc=nietz;view=toc;idno=00acy5488m

What I was trying to suggest is whole word learning, like c-a-t is cat. Once he recognizes that word you go back and teach the letters and their sounds.

The Leap Frog dvd sets for the alphabet, numbers, and basic addition and subtraction really helped my son. By the time he was in 1st grade, he had these down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:24 pm 

Briva wrote:

Well, my first goal is to know what he knows. But it seems impossible right now, since he just cries when I simply ask him to name a letter or it's sound. But I have heard him correctly identify a few of the sounds before and my mom has said that he's come up to her, showed her a letter and said it's name. But he doesn't want anything to do with it if you ask him.

I have been thinking about using this program: https://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/all-about-reading-pre-reading/
It is recommended by a homeschooling mom with dyslexic kids. But I wonder if he is ready for it, when he can't even seem to do the basics, like name the letters.

Up until now, he has watched the Letter Factory DVD and the Meet the Phonics DVD's numerous times. I did notice that he recently started repeating the letter sounds, which he wouldn't do before, so maybe he is making progress. We have also worked through the preschool stuff on the Easy Peasy website, which includes Starfall and other videos/activities that teach the letters. We have also been working on phonemic awareness activities from a book I ordered online, trying to teach him rhyming and all that. I do wonder how much his speech problems are affecting things. He is doing a lot better, but still has trouble with some of his sounds.

I will try the McGuffey with him. I know it didn't work for the other kids, but maybe he will be different.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:20 pm 

I found with DD that she was not willing to display some knowledge *in front of me* - but would reveal everything she knew if she thot I wasn't watching.

Some kids do much better with "teaching" a younger sibling while Mom is "busy, and can't listen right now" (but IS evesdropping ;) )

Some reading programs for kids even have them read books to a dog or a stuffed animal. 8-)

If you can motivate that sort of play without letting on that you want him to do it, you might be able to discover what he knows but is too shy/nervous/whatever to admit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 pm 

This does not have anything or I donot think it does with the subject
but when dd was in kindergarten her teacher told us she would not answer her,
well DD would not do it unless she directed the question to her like "Breanne what????"
Plus if she knew the answer she would not answer her, she told her that she knew the answer why should she have to tell her, Well we got her out of that right away,
Smart A** child.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 pm 

This does not have anything or I donot think it does with the subject
but when dd was in kindergarten her teacher told us she would not answer her,
well DD would not do it unless she directed the question to her like "Breanne what????"
Plus if she knew the answer she would not answer her, she told her that she knew the answer why should she have to tell her, Well we got her out of that right away,
Smart A** child.