It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: How do you read/study your Bible?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:02 pm 

Do you spend a certain amount of time reading and/or studying the Word?
Do you have a specific method for reading and/or studying the Word?
Do you do Bible studies written by others?
Do you use resources like a concordance, Strongs or commentaries?

If you go to a Sunday school class or a Bible study, what method/s do they use to study the Word?

Post subject: Re: How do you read/study your Bible?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 am 

The best Bible study to get a good grasp of scripture is Bible Study Fellowship, or BSF. I attended for six years. For me it was an intensive, year round commitment. The study itself was mostly on my own with whatever Bible version I preferred, though they recommended NIV or KJV. I own a concordance and a Mathew Henry commentary. Dh and I did a study of the Gospel of John where they used early church fathers commentary. Our TX church didn't have what I call Bible study for adults, the pastor led a book study and someone else led a light, topical study I found to be boring (no materials, kind of like a lecture with Q & A).

I did attend a women's study at a Spanish church that was very well organized. They started out with a song, prayer and someone would read a lesson on a topic. We would read from scripture, have a Q and A, share prayer requests, end with another song. It just made my week to attend. Random topics but very good application lessons. Like the topic of morality.

I am trying to find one here. It seems everything goes into hiatus for the summer. I hate that.

Dh and I were part of a weekly Bible study led by a pastor for four years. We went through Luke, Acts and Romans. I hope to find another one like that. That is our pastor-friend who wrote the book, Community of Believers.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:47 am 

Sis wrote:
Do you spend a certain amount of time reading and/or studying the Word?
Do you have a specific method for reading and/or studying the Word?
Do you do Bible studies written by others?
Do you use resources like a concordance, Strongs or commentaries?

If you go to a Sunday school class or a Bible study, what method/s do they use to study the Word?

My favorite way to study the Word is simply to read it. I *try* to read thru once a year -sometimes with more success than others

I also like to read books written by Saints. St. John Chrysostom is one of my BIG favorites. https://www.ccel.org/ccel/chrysostom

I tend to do chunks (an hour or two at a time) rather than so much per day - despite my best intentions to do otherwise. DD reads me the Bible every school day, too : )

I DON'T like studies written by others. It's like having a tour guide when traveling instead of having time to look around and enjoy the things that seem interesting, if that makes sense.

I use whatever references the situation calls for. My favorite reference is DH - he knows EVERYTHING :D

If I go to formal group studies, it tends to be more for the social interaction than for the actual content. I prefer to *study* on my own, guided by good books written by Saints :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 am 

It is important to introduce Bible to kids during early years of homeschooling as I believe that young mind is curious and well equipped to soak up knowledge. It is also important to notice that kids might turn into religious skeptics if parents/community fails to introduce Bible at a young age. You can read Bible online - http://www.bartleby.com/108/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 am 

Thanks for bringing this back around Tracy. :) The last of my visiting grands will be leaving tomorrow and my live-in dd will be gone a few days so the house should be relatively quiet this weekend. I'd really like to get organized, something that's necessary for me, and get into a routine of sorts.

I love all kinds of studies so i tend to start one kind and soon start another and pretty soon i'm so disjointed that i'm getting nowhere.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:37 am 

I try to read a chapter or more a day. I start in the new testament