It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: It's so hard
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:33 pm 

trying to assess where Xavier is at with his letter knowledge. He has watched countless alphabet/phonics videos and we have done a bunch of activities, including Starfall. But when I sit down with him and actually ask him to name even one letter of the alphabet, no matter how much I try to not put any pressure on him, he says he doesn't know and starts crying. I can't even imagine if he had been going into Kindergarten this year at school. :(

Post subject: Re: It's so hard
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:36 pm 

Poor little guy. He's not ready. You'll probably "catch him" reading one of these days, tho'! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:12 am 

He's still young yet. Just keep reading to him and he will pick up interest in reading when he's ready. Try to take the pressure off.

If it's a help... Izzy is about his age and she's going to pre-school in 3 weeks (no choice her mom has to work)... That girl won't sit still for formal "book learning g" so it's going to be interesting how she'll do. She shows zero interest in reading, book, writing, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:38 am 

LisaTX wrote:
trying to assess where Xavier is at with his letter knowledge. He has watched countless alphabet/phonics videos and we have done a bunch of activities, including Starfall. But when I sit down with him and actually ask him to name even one letter of the alphabet, no matter how much I try to not put any pressure on him, he says he doesn't know and starts crying. I can't even imagine if he had been going into Kindergarten this year at school. :(

a couple of our boys were slow to start talking, etc. We decided to just think of them as two years younger than their chronological age. It helped a lot with our expectation-anxiety :)

and that meant EVERYTHING was two years behind. They lost teeth two years later than their chronological age would seem to indicate, and they weren't allowed to take drivers ed for two extra years. They were just "young for their age" and there's nothing wrong with that :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:02 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
LisaTX wrote:

a couple of our boys were slow to start talking, etc. We decided to just think of them as two years younger than their chronological age. It helped a lot with our expectation-anxiety :)

and that meant EVERYTHING was two years behind. They lost teeth two years later than their chronological age would seem to indicate, and they weren't allowed to take drivers ed for two extra years. They were just "young for their age" and there's nothing wrong with that :)

Did you cut their food up til they were teens? :lol: I know people who still do that. Uhm.... now, what was i going to say?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:12 pm 

*TWO* years younger - NOT 20 years younger! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:36 pm 

Some boys are just slower with the whole reading/writing stuff. My ds was 10 before he read his first book to me, all by himself. It was a slow, painstaking process, but when he finally began reading he took off with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:00 am 

http://triviumpursuit.com/articles/ten_to_do_before_ten.php

"Sometime before your child is ten, you should teach him to read, using a good intensive phonics method.

The first question is: At what age should I begin? A few children will learn to read at age four, while a few may be fully ten years old before they can confidently read a basic reader. Most children, however, will learn to read sometime between the ages of five and eight. The age at which a child learns to read is no indicator of how intelligent he is or how well he will do in academics later on."

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:11 pm 

Amen Briva!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:38 pm 

That's probably all true, but it hasn't been my experience with my oldest, so I worry extra about it and don't have that hopeful feeling. :(

So, what do I do, just keep going over the alphabet with him? He's almost 5, so if I think of him as two years younger, that would be almost 3. So just keep doing preschool stuff? Even the Dyslexia curriculum, assumes you already know your alphabet.