It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Cooking eggs.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:39 am 

I once read where "you don't just wake up one morning and make your eggs differently". :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, *I* do! I'm always trying different ways of doing things. I've baked my eggs to hard "boil" them, cooked them in a double boiler, boiled them, fried them, poached them, not to mention using the in other things. But, i tried this "new" way and i'm scratching my head at how it works.

I often have a problem getting all the eggs at the right amount of doneness. (And generally this is when poaching.) This is what i did this morning (read it on fb):

Heat the pan on low for 5 full minutes with a little oil. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and get toast ready. When 5 minutes is up, add a pat of butter, turn the heat up a bit and gently pour eggs into pan. Cook one minute, cover the pan with a lid and turn off the heat.

I got a little sidetracked this morning so that sat longer than normal but the yolks did not cook and the whites were completely cooked. :mrgreen: These are not my favorite eggs - i like the whites browned some. I also don't know how many eggs i could cook at a time - i've always done 4.

I also read you can slip cooked eggs into water at a specific temperature (don't remember what it was) to keep them warm and not cook more.

Post subject: Re: Cooking eggs.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:59 am 

Preheating a nonstick skillet for 5 minutes just might "kill" it. :?

I think it just uses residual heat from the pan to complete the cooking.

Rather like making meringues in the oven & turning the oven off but not opening the door.

Eggs have a lower cooking temp than almost any other food - so it makes "tricks" like this easier with eggs than, say, with meat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:49 am 

Wow.. Why heat the pan that long? 5 minutes on a burner is a lot to me.

I love my eggs poached! I'm in the pursuit of the perfectly poached egg! Lol! (however, some people poach them but leave the yolk runny, I cook them till DONE!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:27 pm 

The pan doesn't seem that hot when i put the eggs in. I think heating it on the lowest, or near lowest, setting heats the pan "evenly" so you don't have hot spots. The oil is warmed. I still have some playing to do but it's really nice that i can "forget" them and still have them nice and yolkey.

No, Tory, this wouldn't be for you! The yolks don't cook at all! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:34 pm 

Ooh ok nope. My dd eats them sunny side up, but I don't. She wants me to try it the next time she cooks one, so I will keep you posted.. Lol!