It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Reading
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am 

It has come to my attention (thru sunday school) that 2 homeschooling families i know have illiterate children. :? I know they are laid back families when it comes to homeschooling but i'm finding it embarrassing, as a homeschooling proponent, that these kids can't read - at ALL. They know their alphabet and nothing more.

The kids i had last night are girls of 8 and 9. The 11 yo boy also cannot read. It actually makes teaching sunday school difficut as the materials i use assume reading capabilities at their level. Last night we were playing a game similar to Pictionary but they couldn't even read "Red Sea" or "Eve".

Is there some kind of "they'll read when their ready" mentality in the homeschooling community?

Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:44 am 

Yes there is! It's often phrased "better late than early"

This is the author & his book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LF3FXXA/re ... TF8&btkr=1

It's not something I agree with, but yes, there's a lot of it out there. I know folks who let their kids listen to audio books instead of reading well into the elementary school - and perhaps jr. high - years.

I don't agree - but they're the parents :geek: And, most of the kids DO learn to read eventually.

For Sunday school, I philosophically disagree with requiring reading for 2 reason:

1. it is MUCH more interesting to listen to an accomplished adult read the lesson than another kid - who is either struggling - or racing thru to show how bright they are ; )

2. MOST Sun. School classes have one or two struggling readers - for whatever reason - and I think being required to "read aloud" in front of their peers when they cannot is traumatizing long term. AND it gives kids the mistaken impression that God likes kids best who are good readers :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:10 am 

Anna1111 wrote:

For Sunday school, I philosophically disagree with requiring reading for 2 reason:

1. it is MUCH more interesting to listen to an accomplished adult read the lesson than another kid - who is either struggling - or racing thru to show how bright they are ; )

2. MOST Sun. School classes have one or two struggling readers - for whatever reason - and I think being required to "read aloud" in front of their peers when they cannot is traumatizing long term. AND it gives kids the mistaken impression that God likes kids best who are good readers :roll:

I never "require" students to read. Even tho' i was a good reader i HATED reading in a group aloud. But for simple directions on what to do in their workbooks, or "secrets" like a word for hangman or Pictionary, it would be beneficial. Having students from 5yo to 12yo is tricky enuf. I expect to help the youngest know that they are to use green to color all the 5's and blue on the 3's but not the 9yo. The materials i have use slightly different instructions for each level - colors for the youngest, filling in the blanks for the intermediates and more thoughtful questions for the olders. It seems i have to either have them do the youngest work and insult their intelligence :roll: or read theirs for them as well as the others.

sigh

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:20 am 

It IS a challenge to have such a wide age spread. That's how the class was that I taught when our boys were little! My big challenge was how to handle discipline. If I reprimanded a 5 year old the same way as an 11 year old, the 5 year old would start crying :oops:

But, I never required any reading for any of it. I read the lesson aloud, read discussion questions & discussed them as a group, did memory work aloud, played homemade "pictionary" about the lesson to review.

Since I knew about some reading challenges in the group - I just didn't require any :)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:28 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
It IS a challenge to have such a wide age spread. That's how the class was that I taught when our boys were little! My big challenge was how to handle discipline. If I reprimanded a 5 year old the same way as an 11 year old, the 5 year old would start crying :oops:

But, I never required any reading for any of it. I read the lesson aloud, read discussion questions & discussed them as a group, did memory work aloud, played homemade "pictionary" about the lesson to review.

Since I knew about some reading challenges in the group - I just didn't require any :)

Fortunately, discipline hasn't been an issue except between siblings. LOL The "big sister" is always trying to keep the "baby" in line. I want her to drop that role in class. I also have challenges with the oldest and BIGGEST (he must be nearly 6' now!!!) having Asperger's. He's always willing to read a bit, tho', and he has improved a great deal over the years.

I didn't think about the non-readers not being able to play hangman, tho'. (Or fill in the blanks.) They just run thru the alphabet but can't guess letters with any purpose. These kids are bright and active and creative. I don't think they even see a need to read.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:49 am 

I do think that the whole culture is going that way. Your iphone will read to you now - there is a decreasing perceived need to read, and I suspect it will eventually be phased out - just like cursive. No better way to keep the masses stupid.