It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: move from HS to PS as a 10 yo
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:28 pm 

Are there any veterans who can speak to allowing a 10yo girl to move from HSing to PSing? We have HSd 2 older kiddos who chose PS to HS. Now my 4th grader insists she wants to PS for next year. Has anyone been down this road?? I want her to HS ...

Post subject: Re: move from HS to PS as a 10 yo
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:38 pm 

Not to sound harsh but YOU are the parent. But, that being said, when our kids transitioned into PB we just signed them up and in they went. Depending on the school (district) they may want to test her to see where she fits. Many assume HS kids will be behind but it's not a bad thing to be tested, imho. It was all very easy actually.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:12 pm 

Thank you and it is not harsh.
Yes, I understand We are the parents. I am concerned that if we insist on homeschooling that she will become rebellious. I understand it is a spiritual issue. Just wondering if there are any here who have been faced with strong willed girls at this age and any isight to handling it..

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:30 pm 

I don't think a 4th grader is mature enough to make the decision. Also, every child at some point wants something other than what they get. My kids at some point all wanted to go to school, and their PS cousins wished they could hs!

As for rebelling. She's going to... If not over school, then over something else. So you have to pick your battles. Stand very firm in the ones that are important! Don't allow her to rule the roost because you are afraid to cross her. I speak from experience times 10.. And I only have ONE daughter! She was the world's most rebellious, strong willed child. Sigh.. But she's 21 now and a joy. I, on the other hand, have many grey hairs and a top notch prayer life.... ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:33 pm 

The book 'the strong willed child" is worth reading. I had read it when my dd was very young and scoffed! But then dd grew older and I read it again for its insight.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:12 pm 
Site Owner

I have a strong-willed boy who is now grown up, and I am SURE glad I didn't put him in school - though I was tempted many times! He would have been much more rebellious due to the influences in school.

I would suggest getting out of the house more. Get involved in more homeschooling groups. Start homeschool hobby clubs that fit her interests -- like dance, horses, or whatever. Publicize the group and have it during the school day so you attract more homeschoolers. Once she starts hanging out with other homeschooled kids, the desire to go to ps will drop.