It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Math Advice for 2nd Grader Please
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:51 pm 

Hi.
We are new here, just decided to pull our 7 year old from private school and home school. I don't want to start any battles but common core math just isn't a good fit for our son. He's a very bright, creative kid and this has him so stressed out about school it's hard to even describe. I've been reading different reviews of different curricula but don't know where to turn. We just want a practical common sense sort of math program that doesn't add 14 extra steps to every math problem. I am not opposed to manipulative at this level, nor am I opposed to rote memorization. Has anyone used anything recently that you can recommend for this grade level? I am certain that there must be several things that would work better for him than this. I appreciate any advice and information you can offer... short of giving common core math another chance. Lol! Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Math Advice for 2nd Grader Please
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:19 pm 
Site Owner

Welcome!! You can get started with simple manipulatives -- counting, sorting, playing with measuring cups in the bath. Then, I'd recommend moving on to memorization of math facts (something sorely lacking in our current world!) I highly recommend Strayer-Upton for a textbook. It uses the most wonderful, sensible teaching method I've ever seen! We used the "Lower Grades" book and then moved to Rod and Staff in 4th grade.

Hope that helps!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:27 pm 

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier! Martha's response reminded me!

In the homeschool world, "Grade level" doesn't reveal much -so I don't know what your son needs. SO, if our recommendations aren't what your son needs at the level he is, check back in : )

XtraMath (https://xtramath.org/#/home/index) is a great FREE resource to help kids memorize Math Facts.

We also like ABCya (also free) for fun math games, and for beginning Math skills, Starfall was great : )

Good old fashioned workbooks (I get mine second hand- usually from the thrift store ; ) like Kumon or School Zone can be a great help, too : )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:49 pm 

Oh yeah, that reminds me of my old standby! What Your __ Grader Needs to Know. I always got it out of the library to give me a kind of outline and then built a curriculum from there. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:35 am 

Thank you so much for your responses! The grade level thing makes sense, didn't think about that! Those are all great ideas that I will be sure to look into. I've been feeling uptight and inadequate, using cooking and baking to teach fractions and goldfish crackers to teach borrowing (although I guess they don't call it that anymore)... I guess maybe I just need to take a step back from it all too. I didn't realize how wrapped up in all of this I had become too! We probably need to get back to the basics and use the sensible methods that make sense to me. I appreciate your help!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:17 am 

Goldfish crackers make sense : )

When we needed to comprehend 10's & 1's - I would make columns of 10 legos and single legos for the ones - it creates an easy mental picture, and most houses have legos on hand to use : )

ABCya has great games with fractions that DD enjoys a lot : )

(this is a link to an article in my blog that gives a big list of the resources I use for math
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2016 ... ap-or.html)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:24 am 

Also - if your son is a reader, and doesn't like common core, Life of Fred might be a good fit. DD loves them : )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:30 am 

Ah, yes, Legos! I had forgotten about using those! I'll look up Life of Fred, he's a fantastic reader! Thanks for more great ideas!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:16 pm 

Also he's only 7. Try to keep lessons short and add on as he matures. I recommend Ruth Beechick's books. Its been a while since my kids were little and I don't remember the name... They are a set of 3 little books. Perhaps some else can chime in.

Also I recommend reading The Charlotte Mason Companion. Lots of good info there for teaching younger children.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:05 pm 

So much good advice here! Thank you!

He & I seem to do best with about 20 minute blocks. I'm not sure if that's what is "normal" (although that is concerning me less and less) :D but it's what works for us right now. We can always adjust as we go, right?

I am so glad I came across this website! So many great ideas already! Thank you!