It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Learning to knit
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:31 pm 

Finally bought a self teaching kit with how to book and tools. I used one to teach myself crochet when I was a teen. I know an older lady that taught herself how by watching YouTube videos. I was inspired by her work. I hope I get the hang of it.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Learning to knit
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:46 pm 

I like the look of knit better than crochet but find it more difficult to do. I seem to "try again" every few year. πŸ˜‰

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:24 am 

We have a friend who knits amazing things. She knits many of her own sweaters, and she has made cute little stuffed animals for DD. She also made DD a little baby sweater way back when. She's a real artist with the needles, and makes things that look gorgeous! It's a great skill to learn : )

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:12 pm 

Well I can say I am very good at casting on stitches, lol, because of starting over so many times. There is more than one way to cast on. There are also two ways to knit, English and Continental. Now I know why I could never get the hang of it before, my mom was trying to teach me the English way, you hold the yarn in your right hand. The continental way, you hold it in your left hand, like I do when crocheting. Duh. Makes it easier.

I have a pattern for a baby hat that is written with crochet AND knit instructions, I wanted to see the knit version is just as cute.

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/preemie-hat.html

When crocheting it works up in a tube you stitch closed, but in knit you work a rectangle and stitch it closed. So far so good, I have no idea how I am working in such an even tension. The purling comes out very loose but the knit is tighter.

Continental knitting demo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:06 am 

VERY cute! looking forward to your finished project : )

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:33 am 

I don't know why Continental isn't taught more. I think it's much easier and that's after learning and knowing the "other" method for years. You have to learn to "see" what you do wrong, like twisting stitches, and how to pick up dropped stitches. Those are the things that make me shy away from knitting. And then there's the counting...... I can't count. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:38 pm 

I taught myself but only the very basics so far. I like crochet better because it goes faster. Then again maybe im just lazy! I do like knowing how to knit so im not giving up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am 

When I was about 10 years old, I used to be fascinated at the sight of knitting needles weaving in and out as I watched my maternal grandmom stitch a pair of socks or woolen mittens. She saw my expression and handed me two needles and that's how I learnt the basic stitch... till date I know just that and can do a basic rug or a muffler. But I can't get close to knitting a sweater or anything along those lines since I always tend to get stuck at the neck or the sleeves :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:27 pm 

I want to learn how so bad. I wish there were a local knitting class somewhere near me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:50 pm 

Check area churches for groups. I go to two different groups that make things for charity, one meets in a Lutheran Church and one in a Catholic Church. A group just started at our local library, too.