It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Gun violence is a social disease...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:10 am 
Site Owner

OH MY! We now need safety features to make guns less dangerous because of the shootings in CO and WI. SIGH.
http://www.gainesville.com/article/2012 ... ?p=3&tc=pg

Here are some of the ideas:
—Product features: Which firearms are most dangerous and why. Manufacturers could be pressured to fix design defects that let guns go off accidentally, and to add technology that allows only the owner of the gun to fire it (many police officers and others are shot with their own weapons). Bans on assault weapons and multiple magazines that allow rapid and repeat firing are other possible steps.

—"Environmental" risk factors: What conditions allow or contribute to shootings. Gun shops must do background checks and refuse to sell firearms to people convicted of felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors, but those convicted of other violent misdemeanors can buy whatever they want. The rules also don't apply to private sales, which one study estimates as 40 percent of the market.

—Disease patterns, observing how a problem spreads. Gun ownership — a precursor to gun violence — can spread "much like an infectious disease circulates," said Daniel Webster, a health policy expert and co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore.

Post subject: Re: Gun violence is a social disease...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:53 pm 

If there is a known defect, then with any product I see this as common sense, but if the "defect" really isn't one, and rather is misuse/misunderstanding of owner, then the owner needs better education.

Regardless of the changes that are made for the "benefit of the gun owner and the community at large", it will not be the problem solver that is the crux of the issue. Those who are out doing these shootings are not going to be following any laws, regulations, education... they will find a way and proceed on. It is the nature of the beast that is the issue, not the guns.

Post subject: Re: Gun violence is a social disease...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:49 pm 

When I was young "S0cia1 dis*ase" was the polite term for an S*T*D*

I used to live in a small city in a country with strong gun control (gun ownership by citizens was completely illegal). There were 51 unexplained murders in that town in a one-month time.

If I thought that this type of laws would save human lives & preserve human freedoms, I'd be all in favor. But, unfortunately, I've never seen it work anywhere. It takes freedoms away AND raises violence.