It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Organizing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:21 pm 

I recently came across a You Tube video of a lady with lots of organizing tips. A lot of them seem very ADD friendly. I have always been chronically disorganized and have not been able to maintain good organization habits. I am trying to turn that around.

One video is about pantry organization. She uses dollar tree bins to put everything in and it looks really nice. I thought, "Why did I never think of this?" We have a pretty big pantry, but there never seems to be room for everything and it just gets thrown around and it's hard to find anything. Even when I go through and put everything in it's place, it never stays that way for long. Part of the reason, is the kids. They are usually the ones who put the pantry groceries away after shopping and they are the ones who get snacks and don't put things back in the right place. But it's not just them. I think the bins will really help all of us to easily see where everything goes.

And, I can more easily see how much we have of something. If I have all the canned tomatoes in one bin, I can see at a glance how many we have, instead of having to sort through everything. I've tried having them all stacked together, but it just never lasts.

So, I went to Dollar Tree, got some bins (in my favorite color), and started organizing. It looks SO nice. I also thought I would do the same thing with the fridge, putting things into bins. Things get pushed to the back and forgotten about or frozen. It gets hard to find things. I think it can be organized better. One tip from You Tube, is she puts everything in the same place. There is a place for leftovers, sandwich stuff goes in one bin, smoothie stuff in another, etc and everything always goes in the same place. I love the sandwich bin idea (mayo, meat, cheese, even bread!). You just pull it out and have everything you need. These things are also VERY ADD friendly, which I love! I do have to keep in mind that her kids are teenagers, no little ones, so I can't copy everything she does and expect it to work out perfectly. But we'll see how it goes. I think we can all be trained.

I've also reorganized all the kitchen cupboards. I realized I've been wasting so much space, it should be a crime! One day, I went "Why?" Why am I wasting space with a bunch of cookbooks I never use, appliances I rarely or never use, etc? So, I reorganized it to be much more efficient.

Post subject: Re: Organizing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:30 pm 

Link please? :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:42 pm 

This is the link to the pantry video. She also has lots of other organizing videos, including the fridge. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rbW9S9fgSo4#

Beware: There are a TON of organizing videos on You Tube, including lots of Dollar Tree ones. They're kind of addicting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:22 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
So, I went to Dollar Tree, got some bins (in my favorite color), and started organizing. It looks SO nice. I also thought I would do the same thing with the fridge, putting things into bins. Things get pushed to the back and forgotten about or frozen. It gets hard to find things. I think it can be organized better. One tip from You Tube, is she puts everything in the same place. There is a place for leftovers, sandwich stuff goes in one bin, smoothie stuff in another, etc and everything always goes in the same place. I love the sandwich bin idea (mayo, meat, cheese, even bread!). You just pull it out and have everything you need. These things are also VERY ADD friendly, which I love! I do have to keep in mind that her kids are teenagers, no little ones, so I can't copy everything she does and expect it to work out perfectly. But we'll see how it goes. I think we can all be trained.

I've also reorganized all the kitchen cupboards. I realized I've been wasting so much space, it should be a crime! One day, I went "Why?" Why am I wasting space with a bunch of cookbooks I never use, appliances I rarely or never use, etc? So, I reorganized it to be much more efficient.

Ahhhh. Doesn't that feel SO great?! It's almost like moving into a new place with things all organized. :) I do pretty well with keeping cans stacked according to "their kind" but I like bins for bags of beans and pasta. I use glass jars (Mason) for lots of things, too, cuz I like their look. Bins in the frig and freezer work great! I also put a shelf in the freezer - fruits go on top and veggies go on the bottom.

And yes, your kids can be trained. It takes more than just one session, tho'. ;-)

I went thru this just a month or two ago. I decided to put my big pots - crockpot, soup pot, and big tins of flour, rice and oatmeal - on my BOOKSHELF! It's a weird idea but it's working well for me. :mrgreen: It's much better than when they were in the big deep cupboard in the hallway.

Can't wait to check out the videos.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:08 pm 

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20233683/

I bought a few of these food storage tubs. They are made in Italy, stackable and look nice in the fridge. I use them for cut up fruit for our smoothies. The pics on Ikea has better ideas, dry goods. They seal really well.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26