It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Coffee Mug help - please : )
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:12 pm 

I have several white-interior ceramic coffee mugs. Inside, they develop grey marks from people stirring them with stainless steel spoons. Any tips how to remove these marks? I normally wouldn't bother, but I have a good friend who is convinced that she is drinking from a "dirty" mug if she sees these marks. :oops:

Post subject: Re: Coffee Mug help - please : )
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:20 pm 

Once in awhile I stick my cups in a sink of bleach water then rinse them really well. It's always worked for me. If you need to "scratch" them off you can probably use baking soda. Hope that helps. ??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:25 pm 

Bleach might work : )

I hate to mess with it and risk burning my hands/damaging my clothes (I AM a total klutz, after all!) but, it may be the best option.

I already tried soda -I don't think it works, but if it works at all, it takes more work than I'm willing to put in. Which is to say, 15 minutes of added elbow grease may have made it work - but I'm not goin' there ; )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:13 am 

Try using a magic eraser. That's what my Mom does for my Dad's tea stained mugs. It works.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:56 am 

Connie K wrote:
Try using a magic eraser. That's what my Mom does for my Dad's tea stained mugs. It works.

If you use a magic eraser be sure to WASH the cups well afterwards. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:17 pm 

I use a powdered cleanser called Bar Keepers Friend. Like Comet but it doesn't have bleach in it. It says for use on ceramic on the label. I use it to get the spoon marks out of my white ceramic crock pot insert. Those marks seem to appear just from me looking at the crock pot lol. It is also fantastic for stainless steel cookware.

I am a total bleach klutz, too. If I try to scrub something with Comet or clean something with bleach, I usually end up bleaching out a spot on the front of my shirt! I really should wear an apron!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:12 pm 

Thanks, Coastal Carol & ConnieK! I might just have to get some Barkeeper's friend. I have tried the magic erasers on this particular problem with no luck - I LOVE them for almost everything else, so was surprised that they weren't effective - they were my first thought, too. My crockpots could also use the help, so Barkeeper's friend sounds promising : )

(I guess I should have mentioned in my question what I had already tried! :oops: )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 pm 

Thanks so much! The Barkeeper's Friend worked great! : ) Not only are the coffee cups perfect, but the old, abused crock pot liner looks WAY better, too! : )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:34 am 

I use a paste of vinegar and corn starch. If that doesn't work, then a concentrated mixture of lemon juice and baking soda followed by the vinegar and corn starch. I simply apply the paste on the affected parts of the mugs and leave them for about 30-45 minutes before scrubbing it off. Seems to work well enough!