It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: We were discussing blood types in our family.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm 

I know *I* am A+ and Dh is O+. Youngest dd said she's O+ as are her kids. She said our oldest ds was O+ and she's pretty sure the other two kids are also O+. (Why they don't blood type kids at birth is beyond me.) I was a bit put off that NONE of my kids got my blood type! I told her text her brother and ask him if he knows for sure.

He texted back and said he didn't know but he was pretty sure Kryptonite doesn't hurt him. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: We were discussing blood types in our family.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 pm 

LOL! And they DO blood type kids when they are born. They did my kids. It's on their card from the hospital that says their weight, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 pm 

Hmmm I wonder if it's a state thing or individual hospital? They blood typed us when we got married. That's how I know what dh and I are.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 pm 

Maybe it's new-ish?? Dh and I found out ours due to our marriage test, too!
But my dc were done at birth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:30 am 

You had to get a blood test before getting married? That sounds so strange. Why?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:00 pm 

Neesa in FL wrote:
You had to get a blood test before getting married? That sounds so strange. Why?

Many states still have the blood test statute on the books - it was to screen for syph*ilis. (I'm not sure if I spelled that right - even with the asterisk!)

DH and I had to have a blood test when we married abroad, but our was to screen for a certain gene common in the country we married in - to let us know if we were carriers.

And, yes, here in Ohio they also blood-type newborns. I do think it is something a parent here could easily fail to notice, tho. I cannot imagine having your child under the care of a pediatrician who didn't know the child's blood type- that's such basic info for providing good medical care in an emergency.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:44 pm 

Hmmm I think I was told they took our blood types to let us know if we'd have Rh problems.

They didn't take our kids blood types at birth - not in Indiana and not in Idaho. The two were typed in boot camp.

I imagine it's a state decision but it might be more local than that. Of course, my kids were born in the dark ages - 1975-1983. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:47 pm 

Sis wrote:
Hmmm I think I was told they took our blood types to let us know if we'd have Rh problems.

They didn't take our kids blood types at birth - not in Indiana and not in Idaho. The two were typed in boot camp.

I imagine it's a state decision but it might be more local than that. Of course, my kids were born in the dark ages - 1975-1983. ;-)

I realize that not every state requires it, and not trying to be argumentative, but how do you *know* (with such certainty) that your kids weren't blood typed at birth? I have NO idea what dd was tested for at birth, with a couple of exceptions. I know that they ran a LOT of tests mandated by state law that I was simply unaware of. Speaking of which, I didn't know until my second pregnancy that they tested *ME* for stuff that I would not have consented to being tested for had I known. Oh, and guess who got the bill for those unwanted tests? If it wasn't for an insurance glitch, I would have never known these tests happened!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 pm 

[/quote] I realize that not every state requires it, and not trying to be argumentative, but how do you *know* (with such certainty) that your kids weren't blood typed at birth? I have NO idea what dd was tested for at birth, with a couple of exceptions. I know that they ran a LOT of tests mandated by state law that I was simply unaware of. Speaking of which, I didn't know until my second pregnancy that they tested *ME* for stuff that I would not have consented to being tested for had I known. Oh, and guess who got the bill for those unwanted tests? If it wasn't for an insurance glitch, I would have never known these tests happened![/quote]

Well sure, they could've typed them and not let us know. They might've even put a chip in them for all I *know*! :o But for all practical purposes for our family, we don't have their blood types.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:29 pm 

Well, when you put it *that* way, it makes perfect sense to me!

I didn't know my own blood type until basic training, when they put it on my dog tags for me. I was told dd's when she was born, but cannot remember what it was (they made a mistake and told me the wrong type, then crossed thru it & wrote something else - THAT I remember! I guess after that I don't have much confidence in their test, anyway)

You can find out pretty easily, and call it a science lesson, if you really want : )
http://www.hometrainingtools.com/blood- ... E-BLDTEST/