It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome! Post your introduction here!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 pm 

Hi I am Michele, mom to 4 great kiddos. My three youngest have only been homeschooled, but my oldest went to ps for K and 1st. I will graduate my first one this next year, doesn't seem possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:06 pm 

My name is Stacy, and I live in Chattanooga, TN. I have been married for 21 years and have two children....a 16 yo dd and a 13 yo ds. Each of them were hs'd when they reached 1st grade. Currently, my dd is enrolling in our local community college to finish up her 4, remaining high school credits and also "chip away" at her college classes in hopes of obtaining an Associate Degree. For the past two years, she was enrolled in Classical Conversations. My ds is going to start participating in Classical Conversations for his 8th grade year. My two children and I are involved in a youth, military program called Sea Cadets. It is the "kids' version" of the Navy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:59 pm 

Hi, I'm PeteS in CA: Married 32 years; HSed all three munchkins "K"-"12"; except for 6 years in AZ for college and starting my career (electronics), I'm a life-long Californian and lived in Silicon Valley since 1978.

Older daughter has taken some college classes, did a Youth With A Mission (YWAM) Discipleship Training School (DTS), with an outreach to Fiji, was a principle caregiver for her Grandma (my MIL), and is a teacher in a preschool.

Son, age-wise the ham in the ham sandwich, is an Eagle Scout and an honors graduate in Business from San Jose State. He will be starting a new job shortly, and is currently (left this AM) driving to MN for 4 months of training.

Younger daughter has taken some college classes, did short-term missions trips to Mexico and China while in high school, did a YWAM DTS with an outreach to Cambodia and Thailand, has been on staff at the YWAM base in Salem, OR for ~5 years, helping lead DTS outreaches to India, Thailand and Burma. She is currently with a DTS outreach in Africa. She has done a 3-month self-directed outreach to China and Finland, and hopes to move to China to live full-time, long-term.

Mrs. S in CA has been working through health challenges the past 8 years or so. This past year and a half she lost ~65 pounds through eating less and exercising regularly. My health has been pretty good the past 9 years. I've been through 3 layoffs from different companies since late 2001 - very frustrating, but God has always provided. The past year and a half, I also have lost ~65 pounds, and ~100 pounds since late 2002. Mrs. S uses a cardio kick boxing video for her exercise. I walk ... a lot. I'm registered to do a half-marathon in October (a little over 13 miles) and have been working up to be able to do that. Last week on Sunday I walked about 11.7 miles. It's all outdoors, so that should say something about Silicon Valley's climate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:15 pm 
Site Owner

Wow, Pete! Great to "see" you. That's terrific about Mrs. S's and your weight loss! I'm sure you are both feeling much better. Glad to hear that the kids are also doing well.

Michele - I know what you mean about the time passing quickly. I don't know how my kids got so old. :0)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:20 am 

Hi! My name is Jeannie... I live in Maine; yes, that is a State...not a country! I HS our girls from 2001-2009 when I was diagnosed with kidney disease. We graduated our oldest dd from HS in 2006..who had gone to public school, dropped out..and than wanted a degree. She got her High School diploma from Moulton homeSchool and is now married and mother of our 3 grand babies. Our middle daughter went to semi private school in Jan. 2009 and remained on Honors all the way to graduation. She is now entering her Jr year of College at Unity College here in Maine. Our youngest was diagnosed with ADHD (only because she was having such problems with public school..mostly one teacher) and is now an Honor student in public school. Home schooling was awesome for all of us, at the time; and very beneficial, study and learning wise.
For hobbies, I read...have an herb garden, can up our garden in the Fall,and try making new things..like sauerkraut and hot sauce. I love gargoyles and collect small statues of them. We have 3 cats a dog and next Summer get to raise chickens!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:36 am 

Hi all! I am Jenileigh. I have homeschooled since 2001. I graduated my oldest daughter Heaven in 2008. My middle daughter Sky was homeschooled until the 9th grade-came back home and homeschooled until her senior year, and then opted to get her GED. My baby girl Meadow was homeschooled until the 6th grade and has come home this year in the 10th to resume homeschooling through highschool.

I have recently divorced and remarried. It's been one long journey

I am currently working full-time as a Home Health Care Provider, as well as studying photography in hopes of supplementing my income with a craft I love.

I have been a part of this Homeschool Christian Board since 2002. I have many dear and faithful friends here. It is a great place and I am honored that the Lord led me here. Our homeschool journey would not have been what it is had without the wealth of support and knowledge gleaned from here.

Finally, I am a grandmother-MiMi-to two grandsons. The oldest-Treyton, who turned 6 in July and the youngest-Henley who turned 3 in October. My life is full and very blessed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:55 am 

I'm Angie. I homeschooled by son until 2nd grade when I had to put him in school because we both work fulltime. He goes to a very small private school that we love. He will be going into 7th grade next fall. He is very into scouts and baseball.

Martha, I'm here but when I tried to pm you it said I wasn't allowed to use that feature. :?

angiep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:23 pm 

It's great to see everyone's introduction. It's amazing how we can see each other so often, and not know these simple things about each other!

We are second-career, or maybe second-life homeschoolers. After our first batch of kids was all done, we had a little surprise/miracle when we were the right age to be grandparents! She is our delight, and we thank God for her : )

We've lived & worked in lots of places, but for me, Ohio has always been home.

I'm very enthusiastic about the things I believe in, and enjoy sharing my enthusiasms. Some of them are: Greek Orthodox Christianity, Homeschooling, Phonics, School-at-Home with old-fashioned methods & drill, vegan diet, floor sleeping, and no TV. Just a little, tiny bit eccentric. :ugeek:

I love this board, and really enjoy seeing all of my friends on here!

Post subject: I see a lot of familiar names!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:18 pm 

I think that I came here about a year or so ago, gave an update, and then promptly disappeared again. There is not much to add, but here's my life in a peanut shell:

I graduated my son back in '07. He went off to join the navy. He is attached to the Harry S Truman aircraft carrier, which is parked at Norfolk, VA. I live in Richmond, VA so this was awesome for me. He comes home most weekends. His term is up in about 10 months and he will get out of the navy and let the military pay for his schooling.

After my son left home I started doing therapeutic foster care. I ended up adopting my first foster child and homeschooled her until graduation in '11.

I have had 9 therapeutic foster children in my home since 2008. I've helped some who have transitioned into permanent placements. Others have unfortunately gone in other directions (runaway, or mental institute placement)

I still own the homeschool book store that I bought back when my son was entering highschool. I still enjoy it and it all works very well with the foster kids and being able to be home with them a lot and sometimes have them come into work with me. We finally started a facebook page, so I'm excited about that - check it out and "like" it if you are interested.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Educators-Exchange/293605227392951

That's about it for me. Without foster kids in my home my life is pretty dull. Which is awesome! But I'll be back in the foster saddle again soon, and that keeps me busy.

Last edited by amy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:32 pm 

Hi, I am Briva, member here since '98, wife to computer engineer dh for 29yrs., mom to 3 kiddos, all of which have homeschooled for part of their educational journey. I was one of the reluctant, "I cant homeschool" people. My older two kids got their start in public school, but I realized they were being shortchanged in the failing government school system. Our son's journey: public school until after the 1st quarter of 9th grade. He then came home and finished high school in 3yrs, saved money from a part-time job to buy a truck cash, applied and got accepted at the school of his choice-a culinary institute and moved out on his own at 18. Oldest dd left the public school system after 3rd grade, did her senior year at a private high school boarding school. She was diagnosed with MS about 4yrs ago, has recently married and hopes to one day work in the medical field-technician. Youngest dd homeschooled from the start. She transitioned into a small, private school in Jan of her 7th grade year and has flourished ever since. She just finished 9th grade (at another small, private school) and was able to get on the honor roll for both semesters. Still have most of our curriculum as my oldest dd doesnt want me to get rid of it, she hopes to homeschool her own kids one day.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next