It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Martha....can you freeze milk?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:08 am 

Hi Martha....wanted to pick your brain about some things, if you dont mind?

Do you have any experience/knowledge or recommendations about freezing raw milk?
Should we or shouldnt we?

Also, do you ever make butter from it?

And how do you remove the cream if you want to use it as half & half?

TIA--for any tips!!

🐮🐮🐮🐮🐮🐮

Post subject: Re: Martha....can you freeze milk?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Owner

I've got some in the freezer that I plan to experiment with. :0) I believe it will need to be shaken vigorously when it comes out. We have a cream separator but you can skim the cream off the top. Experiment with different size clear bowls so you can see the cream. Yes, we've made butter with the Bosch food processor. :0)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:59 am 

We have frozen raw milk for years. Never know when we will be able to get a steady supply, so she it is available, we stock up. It doesn't keep for more than 3 months, so we use it as quickly as we can.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 pm 

Cindy, what do you freeze the milk in?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:10 pm 

My Mom used raw milk for years. She never froze it because she didn't care for the taste. But, to remove the cream, she let it rise to the top, then she used a turkey baster to "sip" it off the top : ) I did that for her many times - it's an art to get the cream without getting the milk.

She also made butter from it - I don't recall her method for sure (It's been about 20 years), except to recall that she kneeded it by hand at the end to get the last bits of moisture out. I *think* she clabbered it in a blender - or with some similar appliance. She also added a little something - I think it was a pinch of baking soda - to make it sweeter. My Dad had worked in a dairy factory that made butter when he was young, so I think that's part of how she got her know-how.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:42 pm 

Donna, We have frozen it in Canning jars, and freezer bags. Just make sure you leave a good amount of headspace if you use jars, so they don't break. I always use a sharpie to mark the bag if we use a bag, or write the date on the top of the jar lid with a grease pencil before freezing to remind me when I froze it.

And yes, we shake the milk quite a bit before drinking if we had to freeze it. We also stir it up real good before breaking it down into jars from the 1 gallon jars into the quart-sized jars.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:26 pm 

we do freeze it.

We use an old/empty galon of mil, then we put half of the one container in it and then freeze both... milk expands so when you freeze you have to give it room. Do it in plastic is better.

We do it a lot, since when it is cheap, it is $1 off... it can be in the freezer a while, let it thaw in the fridge and use as normal.

=o)

k