It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Diet & Exercise
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 am 

This is a "strange question"..I was recently talking to someone, and they informed me that if you, as a person, never "exercised" and always ate healthy, that you would never get fat. Yes, you would be out of shape and flabby, but never gain weight as long as you maintained a strict, healthy eating plan. Can you eat healthy and never truly exercise and maintain a healthy weight?

Post subject: Re: Diet & Exercise
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 pm 

I guess it depends on your definition of the word "exercise". If you eat very healthy AND keep the calories in accordance with your bodies need for the "exercise" you get - whether that's lying in bed all day or running a marathon, I suppose that would be true. People that "work" - yard work, house work, farmer, road crew, nurse, ... they get various amounts of "exercise". You'd have to consume calories that reflect your lifestyle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 pm 

You may not get fat, but you sure wouldn't be FIT.
Slender people can have the worst weak muscles! The heart is a muscle and must be worked or it gets sluggish, just like any other muscle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:51 pm 

I am not fit at all. The only real exercise I get is just working and that doesn't count. I really need to get going again, but that is one more thing on my list of things, I do not want to cahnge in life. I am so tired of havign to change things

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:32 pm 

Lots of trim people never "do exercise" - that doesn't mean they are necessarily all sedentary.

I am sedentary & when I lose weight, it is without exercise as such (I do things like taking little one to the park).

I have lost a lot of weight from time to time without exercise - for me weight is all about diet.

As other commenters have noted, there is a big difference between being healthy and being thin. I'm not saying I get *fit* that way - but I can easily lose weight without exercise.