It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Hello! and a long question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:35 am 

Neesa, I am definitely a recovering slacker. I was awful in college and most of my early 20s. So I know part of this is I'm afraid I'll do too little for real and hypercorrect myself preemptively. But a lot of it is just uncertainty. I have heard of Classical Conversations, but one decision DH and I do agree on is to eschew as much preset curriculum as possible. Plus the closest one is too far away for us. It is arguable that TWTM is preset, but not materials-wise. To me, it just offers a framework and you can use their suggestions or just use your own library, do all the subjects, or not. I just don't know which ones not to do. And I can't do it and take care of family life AND do things for my own growth.

I told DH about lapbooks and he likes that idea. He's always said it should be fun for them, but that I'm the one that should be driving the schedule and content and whatnot. I think that when I say "relaxed" he hears "lax" and I'm not sure how to explain it any better than I have. We'll give lapbooks a try and see how that goes. I'm also going to pull all the great suggestions from here and see what we can do! I really like the music suggestions and I've wanted Lyrical Life Science, but it's sort of expensive and I don't have time for bargain hunting. Thanks so much, ladies! You've given me some ideas and a lot of reassurance!

Post subject: Re: Hello! and a long question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:49 pm 

I bought lyrical science and sent it back. All the music was overload for what we already do with CC. From what I remember, it's at a middle school level. I do loooove the Apologia Elementary science books. I love lapbooks too.