It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:34 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Cap and Gowns for Senior pictures
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:55 pm 

Here's another site...

http://www.homeschooldiplomas.com

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:44 am 

Free, online printable diplomas http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/diploma.htm

We used this for our oldest dd when she graduated middle school. I printed it out on tinted art paper for pastels http://www.dickblick.com/products/canso ... ntes-pads/ Its a heavy duty paper one side has a smooth/flocked vellum feel.

I let my kids pick their own school mascot, school colors, I picked the school motto and verse. They werent really interested in any of that, though, a hsing family I know change them every year.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:55 am 
Site Owner

Dd rented hers from somewhere on-line. She picked blue because she looks good in it. :0)

I printed a diploma on the computer. She got another certificate from the state homeschooling association when she went through their ceremony. (Won't do that again!!!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:50 am 

Tory, neither of my boys wanted speeches or anything as part of their graduation, so we invited family and firiends to our home, had a cake (well, actually 2 since we had two graduates with different likes in cake, colors...), punch, snack foods... We also set out on the table with their cakes, their diplomas. We did do a brief acknowledgement of each of them and their accomplishements/activities they enjoyed over the years.

So, really we had a grad party with no ceremony. The boys got recognized for completing that season of their lives. It was fun, low fuss, and what they boys had wanted.

How ever you decide to do it will be great, and like the rest of your homeschooling - what is the best fit for your family. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:50 pm 

Ok.. I think we've settled on.. one ds will go with dark purple. SoCalPam has very generously offered to loan us her ds's gown! :)
My other ds wants dark green, so I called my brother and his old school has that color and he's asking a friend if we can borrow one of their gowns.
SO.. we'll get the photos done hopefully before Oct. 1st!
Briva, thanks for the link to the diploma. We still have this school year for them to finish but that's good to have because I'll need it!
Thank you all. I knew this was the place to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:23 pm 

Love it when decisions are made and everyone is happy!!! Good job.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:36 pm 

My oldest son (now 26) has always loved all the fuss, folderol, pomp and circumstance of graduation. For homeschool high school, he wanted the ring, diploma, cap, gown, tassel, announcements, etc.

My younger son (now 21) could not have cared less about it. He didn't want any of it. In fact, when we went to my oldest's college graduation, he leaned over to me and said, "You couldn't pay me $1000 to do this!) :lol: And he did NOT want to send out announcements because he said that people would give him gifts, and then he would have to write thank-you notes! He hates to write! He got gifts anyway, and he did write thank-you notes, too! :D

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:55 pm 

I was like your younger son, Laurajean. I wanted nothing to do with my HS graduation. The only thing I got was my class ring. Didn't want or get a cap and gown because I didn't attend my graduation ceremony. I was too busy having the time of my life in NY with my church choir! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:02 pm 

Yup. My Mom insisted I go - so I did it to please her. No class ring - never missed it.

Never been to one of my own since (have occasionally gone to other people's).