It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Upper Level Science Curriculum for Co op
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:23 pm 

I am seeking options for our homeschooling co op. We currently use Bob Jones science for middle school and high school. It works well for us because of the online availability and ease for the mom/teacher to use on Fridays during class. Currently, we have had many families expressing the need for a NON-BJU curriculum such as Apologia. Does anyone have suggestions for another curriculum that is sustainable for the teacher and thorough for the student at home?

Post subject: Re: Upper Level Science Curriculum for Co op
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:34 pm 

Welcome : )

Glad to have you here!

I'm not sure I understand your question as far as "sustainability" goes.

We've used elementary BJU & Apologia both and they seem pretty comparable - as far as prep/planning time goes (I have to admit, I don't do "extras" and "experiments" very often - I just select a few- I don't do them all.

And, *which* science are you planning to teach - chemistry, biology, physics, etc?

What does your co-op look like- is it very rigorous with lots of homework, or more of a time to do a few fun projects together & socialize? (I've found that the word "co-op" can mean almost anything!)

I've just bought Apologia Biology & Chem texts for high school - and they look very promising - but I haven't started using them yet : )