It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Remedial spelling
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 am 

Can anyone recommend a remedial spelling/phonics program that would be suitable for an adult? Has anyone used PhonicsTutor?

Post subject: Re: Remedial spelling
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 am 

I haven't used Phonics Tutor. I have used Spelling Power. Have you looked into that?

Welcome to the board, Karen!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Owner

Hi Karen! Glad you found us!!! Is this adult dyslexic? If so, here's one that has worked for many people:

http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curr ... elling.php

My older son was not a very good speller, and he used Phonetic Zoo. Here's a link to a review of it:
http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curr ... ticzoo.php

Again, WELCOME!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 am 

Thank you for your responses, Shelly and Martha. Life has encroached heavily on my computer time the last two days and I have been unable to respond! Yes, this dd is dyslexic or as Dianne Craft diagnosed a disorder similar to dyslexia that is genetic. This dd did not learn to read till about the age of 10-11. I had one reading expert suggest that some children NEVER learn to read and that just may be the situation for us. I refused to believe that and we prayed and plugged along until it was mastered. Spelling, though, is another matter. Words are spelled with extra letters, spelled phonetically but incorrectly, and spelled with transposed letters. We have tried a myriad of programs including Sequential Spelling but not Spelling Power. We used "Language Arts from A to Z" which involved learning spelling rules. Dd was very good at remembering the rules for the lesson, but could not apply them to words afterwards. There was no long term retention. I would like to find a program that is self-learning since there would be no available tutor to help. That is why I was considering PhonicsTutor since it is computer-based. Martha, some time ago, you mentioned tutoring a young man that made great strides. I don't remember-- was it in reading, spelling or both? What did you use? Thank you for any advice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Owner

It was reading actually. He made tremendous progress with eye exercises -- every day for two years. He was my 28 year old neighbor. Today he is 33 and a nurse. :0) I'm really proud of him from going from "stupid" (what the British school system called him) or "special needs" (what the U.S. school system called him.) There is nothing wrong with his brain. He just had a vision focusing issue that made the words move around on the page and disappear. Take a look at the vision page:
http://homeschoolchristian.com/curricul ... vision.php

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:06 am 

Karen,
You may want to consider checking out having your dd do eye exercises.
My daughter found me on this as a teenager, and now that she lives on her own, has decided she really needs to do this so she can achieve a higher reading level. She's done wonderfully the past few months and is now reading the Chronicles of Narnia all on her own. This is truly something she would've NEVER done on her own prior to completing the eye exercises. Her retention has gone up, too, and her spelling is improving. She began doing her own version of copywork, by copying one paragraph every day of the week for the week, reviewing the words she didn't know how to spell, and writing them out 5-10x. By the end of the week she had almost all of them down, simply from copying them over and over and reading them over and over. " )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:36 pm 

Vocabulary Cartoons is a different kind of program. It has funny pictures for each word and the definition of the word is included, so the student is learning both at the same time.
My ds's are not good spellers and I've tried everything: Phonetic Zoo, Spelling Power, etc.
Vocabulary Cartoons "clicked" with them.
(I personally liked Spelling Power and they did both improve with that program, so you can't go wrong with that one, either.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:40 am 

One thing that helped my daughter was If it Is to be, It's up to Me by Don McCabe.
This is written for people who are dyslexic and/or have issues with spelling.

I just found my old copy and started using it yesterday with my 11yo who has had the hardest time learning to spell. He was SO excited he was able to spell almost all the words correctly that he wanted to do 4 days worth of spelling. It has a nice mix of words that start out easy that have a suffix added to it, that makes the word bigger.