It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Khan Academy founder on new education model
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:28 am 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KN7is85cQps

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Khan Academy founder on new education model
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 am 

Great video!

I like Mr. Khan & love his website (although his Moslem worldview & liberal outlook do concern me when I use his materials for my Christian child - but I DO use his materials! with caution . . . )

But, there's nothing new about his view of no grades/no grades. ACE was doing this back in the 70's. It's how *I* learned : )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:52 am 

I didn't issue grades or held my kid at a grade level, either. It's confusing though when adults would ask them what grade they were in. I agree with his idea of simply mastering a subject.

Just saw another video of a school run by parents of autistic children. They are taught according to their ability. Life skills being most important, communication number one.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:42 pm 

Oh - I agree with the concept, too! : )

I was just talking with someone this AM who asked me about DD's "grade level" - I DO assign her one - just so she knows what Sunday School classroom to show up in and how to answer that question. But, realistically, when we teach kids at home according to THEIR abilities and to a mastery level, they're going to end up at different grade levels in different subjects. It's a very rare kid who will progress evenly in all their subjects.

When I was in an ACE school, I had a three year gap between my most advanced and least advanced subjects!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 pm 

"Grade level" should be re-thunk as "age level". ALTHOUGH i do have some kids in sunday school that can't read that are 12yo. Not sure how they get thru their schooling but they're great kids! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:09 pm 

Sis wrote:
"Grade level" should be re-thunk as "age level". ALTHOUGH i do have some kids in sunday school that can't read that are 12yo. Not sure how they get thru their schooling but they're great kids! :)

Here they have to pass a grade level test every 3rd grade level. So while we didn't bother with grade levels in our school, my dc did have to pass the test for our state in 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th grades. I don't know how a non-reading 12 y/o child would be able to do that. But I realize laws vary by state.