It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Chronically ill homeschooling father?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:00 am 

Hello everybody,

It is really neat that there is an online community of people who are passionate about supporting others who are homeschooling. I am really grateful to be able to get some wisdom and encouragement from you all.

I am a stay-at-home father of 3 boys. I have a 6, 4, and 3 year old son. My oldest is currently in Kindergarten in a Christian private school. I want to start exploring homeschooling my youngest two boys right now but to be honest I'm very discouraged about doing it. I have multiple health problems that stemmed from my service in the Air Force. The main problems are these: lower cervical spine problems, fibromyalgia, body wide nerve pain.

My wife and I are very much against putting our children into public school. I am happy and content to put my oldest son into the private school that he is currently attending. However, I know that it will be very expensive to put all 3 of our sons into private school and I'm struggling to find purpose and meaning of my existence. With the gifts and talents that God has given me, I would make an excellent teacher (which also has been confirmed by close friends and family). My biggest struggle is being consistent and being physically able to teach my children. Teaching at the table is the hardest thing for me to do. Sitting on and off throughout the day and bending over to watch my kids do their school work can totally incapacitate me. Since the children are also little, it seems like I'm bending over all the time which would add to the stress on my back.

I'm sure there are other parents in this forum who also struggle the same way. I'm looking for guidance on how it can be done well.

Blessings,
Ron

Post subject: Re: Chronically ill homeschooling father?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:39 pm 

Welcome, Ron! : )

I also have back problems and am an AF vet.

I don't find that MY posture matters at all in the teaching of my daughter. I have done it lying on the floor before on days when my back hurt. I've taught standing, sitting on a chair, sitting on a couch (NOT good for me at all, I discovered!) If I can parent from a position, I can teach from it. If your kids are accustomed to you parenting from whatever posture works for you, they should be just as comfortable with you teaching them from those postures.

As far as consistency, it depends how MUCH of the time you are down and completely unable to do the job. There are great programs like Starfall, ABCya, and many others that can do PART of the work for you on those days/hours of the day when you can't - but a basic one-on-one instruction in phonics and simple math will be necessary - once again - that can be done from nearly any posture.

Hope that helps - and welcome again! : )

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:09 pm 

Hi Ron, welcome! Your kids are so very young right now, i wouldn't worry too much about having them sit much. :) If standing works for you, it might help to have a high table with stools for them to sit on. That way you can stand up straight while they are doing sit work.

My kids got to go to a one room school house and one of the reasons it works so well is because the older kids get to practice what they've learned by overseeing the practice of the younger ones. Don't over-use the oldest but once they learn a skill you might encourage them to teach it to the next one.

There are curriculums that do almost, if not all, of the work for you but if you enjoy teaching you may not like those. ;) They work well in a pinch, tho'.

I'd make sure those little guys got out to play ball and dig up worms, too!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:50 pm 

Thank you for your posts. I'll look into some options that may be helpful. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:01 am 
Site Owner

Hi Ron,

Check out our beginner's page: www.homeschoolchristian.com/beginner.php
You'll find lots of resources there!

We homeschooled through my husband's lengthy battle with cancer and after his death. It's not always easy, but the big thing to remember is that there are no rules as to how you homeschool. You have to put away your own experience and do what works for your family. That means that if you do 15 minutes here or there, you will still get the job done. You can homeschool on the couch, on the floor, in the grocery store, at the park, anywhere!!! And especially at the age of your kids, you don't need textbooks at all. Playing is the best way to learn. :0)

Please ask more questions. We are here to help you!