It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Ignorance isn't ALWAYS bliss . . .
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:11 pm 

sometimes, it's just embarrassing!

Remember my post on "discovering" short division, which had not been taught in our schools?

Well, I recently made a "new" discovery - another one that I should have known since grade school.

I was talking with a European relative who is studying engineering in England. We were talking about the quality of American Math education, and he said, "My American [engineering] classmates haven't even been taught what order to do equations in!"

Which left me rather awkwardly thinking, "There's an order?" :? :oops:

My math teachers in school never taught it! No wonder I had such trouble in Algebra!

Well, I went on the internet, and found this song
http://mathstory.com/youtubevids/pemdas ... -qyJcnzbW5

It's funny, but as I'm teaching my kid math, I'm finding all the mistakes MY teachers made. I'm beginning to love math because I GET IT now!

Which leaves me a little embarrassed, but a lot smarter ;)

Am I the only one who wasn't taught this in school?

It stuns me how people ask, "How will you teach your daughter something you don't already know?"

I got news for them - professional educators do that all the time - it's called "learning something new" :D

Post subject: Re: Ignorance isn't ALWAYS bliss . . .
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:33 pm 

I was taught this. However, I had a wonderful teacher for high school math! I was thinking of him just the other day
There are some teachers you never forget and he's one of them. I never liked math but I took 4 years of high school math just to be in his class.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 am 

I actually think i was "taught" this. I remember learning that there is an order, HOWEVER.... it should have been DRILLED into us, imho. Are you learning this thru teaching your dd?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:07 am 

Yes : )

It should have been drilled - no WONDER American kids have SO much trouble in higher maths - when (at least sometimes) they're not even taught this. It should be in every lesson, every day!

And, yes, I'm learning it to teach DD. She's not at this level of math yet, but she DOES know the rule (thanks to this cool song), so when it comes, she's ready : )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:29 pm 

I may have dgs just start learning the "WORD" pemdas. He can learn the meaning of it later. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:16 pm 

My teacher taught us : Perhaps Everywhere My Dear Aunt Sally rules" so it was easy to remember.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:26 pm 

Tory wrote:
My teacher taught us : Perhaps Everywhere My Dear Aunt Sally rules" so it was easy to remember.

I think i heard it Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

Kind of like the music lines All Cars Eat Gas or All Cows Eat Grass! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:01 pm 

Yes, I was taught the order. I hope this doesn't sound rude, but how do you complete an Algebra problem, if you don't know what order to do it in? I was bad at memorizing math facts (still am), but I did well in Algebra. I don't know how anyone would get through an Algebra class, without being taught how to solve the problems??? Sorry you had such an awful teacher. If my mom hadn't moved us to a much better school district, I would not have made it through HS, so I'm forever thankful for that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:08 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
Yes, I was taught the order. I hope this doesn't sound rude, but how do you complete an Algebra problem, if you don't know what order to do it in? I was bad at memorizing math facts (still am), but I did well in Algebra. I don't know how anyone would get through an Algebra class, without being taught how to solve the problems??? Sorry you had such an awful teacher. If my mom hadn't moved us to a much better school district, I would not have made it through HS, so I'm forever thankful for that.

If it had been JUST my teacher - I would overlook it. (She was pretty bad - spent most of the class time flirting with the male teacher across the hall - they were both married to other people. And if we asked a question during her flirting time, she'd yell at us) But when our relative tells me that his American classmates, who are engineering students who SHOULD be some of the strongest math students, also don't know it, I find that really disturbing!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:29 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
sometimes, it's just embarrassing!

Remember my post on "discovering" short division, which had not been taught in our schools?

Well, I recently made a "new" discovery - another one that I should have known since grade school.

I was talking with a European relative who is studying engineering in England. We were talking about the quality of American Math education, and he said, "My American [engineering] classmates haven't even been taught what order to do equations in!"

Which left me rather awkwardly thinking, "There's an order?" :? :oops:

My math teachers in school never taught it! No wonder I had such trouble in Algebra!

Well, I went on the internet, and found this song
http://mathstory.com/youtubevids/pemdas ... -qyJcnzbW5

It's funny, but as I'm teaching my kid math, I'm finding all the mistakes MY teachers made. I'm beginning to love math because I GET IT now!

Which leaves me a little embarrassed, but a lot smarter ;)

Am I the only one who wasn't taught this in school?

It stuns me how people ask, "How will you teach your daughter something you don't already know?"

I got news for them - professional educators do that all the time - it's called "learning something new" :D

My school was also taught this. I did great with Algebra. It was geometry that I went downhill. :)