It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Newbie- Sticking to Routine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm 

Tory wrote:
I had way more fun planning to home school than I did actual home schooling lol! All the books and curriculum to explore and the expos! Ahh I miss those years. All 3 of mine are now grown so I envy you! These really are the best years.

Well from where I'm standing "retirement" sounds like the good times. Haha (not that parents ever retire completely ;)) I guess it's all just where you're at. I know I'll love homeschooling - if I do the work I need to do to make it go smoothly. Maybe once we get going and get a system and try some different curricula it won't seem to daunting. After all, I'm a lot more confident even now than I was 2 years ago walking into my first mini homeschool convention.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:28 am 

Lisa!!!

Based on your story, I went to look into ADD management techniques, as I said I would, to see if any of them applied to me. Well, almost ALL of them apply to me! And not just a little bit. At first I was just looking for helpful tips, but since everything seemed so spot-on, I did a little digging into ADD itself and I have almost every single one of the "symptoms" associated with it! My mind is absolutely blown! As I said before, I never considered it. My main complaint with myself was my lazy, unmotivated attitude. I always imagined ADD being hyperactivity, like "chasing squirrels" so to speak, so I didn't think there was any way I could have it. I also didn't realize that hyper-focusing was part of it either. I have always had trouble putting down things I WANT to do, even to eat or go to appointments. I thought that was the opposite of ADD, but it turns out it's not. All of the emotional symptoms I have, which I've been to counseling for, the anxiety, depression, dissatisfaction and low self-esteem etc, are all related to the ADD and it's like a light bulb!

The point is, I'm completely relieved! Thank you SO MUCH for mentioning it to me! Just being able to label it, I now have something to fight against - battling the ADD instead of beating myself up for being lazy and unfocused. And now I can start looking for specific strategies for my problem instead of throwing a bunch of things at it, hoping something sticks. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:08 pm 

When i began homeschooling we didn't have a choice of curriculum. ACE was the only thing available to us. It is structured, straight forward, and easily implemented. There are so many pages to do each day in each subject with an answer key for the answers. The student takes self-tests along the way to know where they need to go back and study. When they pass the test for that "pace" with an 80% or better they can move on to the next one.

This type is great for certain kinds of students and as a filler. I have friends with 5-6 kids that this works really well for.

Personally, and as a veteran homeschooler, i'd use these first years to feel things out. NO PRESSURE. You are not going to mess it up. You may veer from your precious plan (and i say that as a consummate planner myself!) but go with it and see where it leads you. These are the years to discover what works for you and them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:33 pm 

Sis wrote:
Personally, and as a veteran homeschooler, i'd use these first years to feel things out. NO PRESSURE. You are not going to mess it up. You may veer from your precious plan (and i say that as a consummate planner myself!) but go with it and see where it leads you. These are the years to discover what works for you and them.

Thanks for that! That's exactly how I feel about it. It's hard to keep perspective though with all the hype about early reading (which is called "early" for a reason but has now become standard) and when people around here are paying an arm and a leg to send their kids to preschool and they can count to like 1000. Haha exaggerating of course, but you see my point. Even the home schooling kids my daughters age are ahead of her, but none of them are first borns, so they've been exposed to a lot more schooling just by being in a schooling home.

And plans are hard to let go of, but I know I'll have to be flexible if this is gonna work out. It can't be all or nothing, which is a perfectionist's nightmare! Lol but we'll figure it out. The most important thing right now is that they learn to love learning and grow in character. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:10 pm 

P31Gal wrote:
Lisa!!!

Based on your story, I went to look into ADD management techniques, as I said I would, to see if any of them applied to me. Well, almost ALL of them apply to me! And not just a little bit. At first I was just looking for helpful tips, but since everything seemed so spot-on, I did a little digging into ADD itself and I have almost every single one of the "symptoms" associated with it! My mind is absolutely blown! As I said before, I never considered it. My main complaint with myself was my lazy, unmotivated attitude. I always imagined ADD being hyperactivity, like "chasing squirrels" so to speak, so I didn't think there was any way I could have it. I also didn't realize that hyper-focusing was part of it either. I have always had trouble putting down things I WANT to do, even to eat or go to appointments. I thought that was the opposite of ADD, but it turns out it's not. All of the emotional symptoms I have, which I've been to counseling for, the anxiety, depression, dissatisfaction and low self-esteem etc, are all related to the ADD and it's like a light bulb!

The point is, I'm completely relieved! Thank you SO MUCH for mentioning it to me! Just being able to label it, I now have something to fight against - battling the ADD instead of beating myself up for being lazy and unfocused. And now I can start looking for specific strategies for my problem instead of throwing a bunch of things at it, hoping something sticks. Thank you!

Wow! I was almost afraid to mention it because I don't like to sound like I'm "diagnosing" people, even though it's hard not to notice people who show symptoms of ADD when you are so acquainted with them yourself. I used to think it didn't even exist and was blind to my symptoms and my kids', until one day it clicked and all the puzzle pieces of my life fit together. The undiagnosed ADD and anxiety. It wreaked havoc on my life for many years, and still does to an extent, but knowledge is power. Of course, it's good to get a professional diagnosis, since things can mimic each other and symptoms can overlap. But yeah, once you know, you just know.

I try to be open and get the word out as much as I can, because it's such a common, yet often overlooked, condition. It makes me so incredibly happy to know all my rambling has helped you. It's really hard to battle against an unknown enemy, but like you said, it helps to know what you're fighting against, so you can stop beating yourself up. I remember the day that lightbulb went on for me and it has helped me to learn so much about myself, my childhood, my family, etc. I hope you are able to find strategies that work for you and your family. It's great that you know all this about yourself, going in. It's a continual learning process. Trial and error. Let me know if I can be of any help or if you have any questions.