It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Thinking about homeschooling :)
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:37 pm 

I'm thinking about homeschooling my son who is 3 right now, 4 in September. My boyfriend and I aren't to thrilled with our towns school and he would love Cameron to go to our local Christian school. But, its about $5k a year!! We would qualify for assistance but still having to drive 20ish minutes to and from especially in the snowy winters isn't my cup of tea lol. So I was looking at the Horizons preschool and kindergarten kits and found the preschool one for about $100 on ebay - no multmedia set though. I also just signed up for abcmouse and he loved the first 2 sessions we did :) I would also sign him for extracurriculars and field trips with the Christian school so he can get his interactions with other kids. I haven't told the boyfriend I want to try homeschooling yet since I know he'll have some not so nice to say about it and not sure how much support I'll get from his family either, my side is null and void unfortunately. Thank you guys with your responses ahead of time, this was also the most active message board/forum I found so YAY!! lol :)

Post subject: Re: Thinking about homeschooling :)
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:27 pm 

jenni_mommy wrote:
I'm thinking about homeschooling my son who is 3 right now, 4 in September. My boyfriend and I aren't to thrilled with our towns school and he would love Cameron to go to our local Christian school. But, its about $5k a year!! We would qualify for assistance but still having to drive 20ish minutes to and from especially in the snowy winters isn't my cup of tea lol. So I was looking at the Horizons preschool and kindergarten kits and found the preschool one for about $100 on ebay - no multmedia set though. I also just signed up for abcmouse and he loved the first 2 sessions we did :) I would also sign him for extracurriculars and field trips with the Christian school so he can get his interactions with other kids. I haven't told the boyfriend I want to try homeschooling yet since I know he'll have some not so nice to say about it and not sure how much support I'll get from his family either, my side is null and void unfortunately. Thank you guys with your responses ahead of time, this was also the most active message board/forum I found so YAY!! lol :)

Hi Jenni. That is great that you want to start homeschooling your son. To be honest, he is still too young to do any "formal" education. Leap Frog dvd's are a great source for learning the alphabet and his numbers. Lots of hands on activities and lap books.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/lapbooking_resources.php

http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/alla ... /index.php

http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/beginner.php

Post subject: Re: Thinking about homeschooling :)
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:20 am 

I also have a 3 yr old, 4 in Oct. We are using this free online program for school right now:

https://allinonehomeschool.com/getting-ready-1/

He LOVES it and I feel like it's enough for right now. He's really learning the alphabet songs well with this program and it's sticking in his brain, with all the repetition. He has speech problems, so I don't know if he's behind or where he should be, but I do know he's learning a lot. He also watches the Leapfrog Alphabet Factory DVD a lot.

We will continue with the above program into pre-k, but I will be adding in phonemic awareness activities, phonics and handwriting.

Don't know anything about Horizons. I do like the Sonlight program, but I could never stick to just one program, so I just use a mish mosh of things.