It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Feeling unsure about the curriculum I chose
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:11 pm 

Hello :D

My son is 4 1/2 and we are planning to begin our homeschooling journey in August. I purchased the My Fathers World Kindergarten curriculum, but before I even received it in the mail, his preschool teacher informed me that he not only scored in the "very advanced range" on his school readiness test, but he also got the highest score that she's ever seen :o

This is fantastic news, but the day after that, his curriculum came in the mail, and I have to admit, I'm feeling a little unsure about it. I'm seeing a lot of content that I'm going to need to skip because he learned it a year or two ago. I can't skip it entirely though, because he has not been taught how to write yet. Not to mention, I really like the concepts behind the curriculum, and I would hate for him to miss out on it.

I'm just worried about it being too easy for him. I want him to be moving forward, not sitting through a year of review. What should I do? Should I look into supplementing? Speed it up a bit? Consider a different curriculum entirely?

I'm worried that maybe a box curriculum was a poor choice for him, but at the same time, I really love this particular one, and I was really looking forward to going through it with him.

Help :shock:

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Feeling unsure about the curriculum I chose
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:52 pm 

My Mom was in sales, and there is a phenomenon called "Buyer's remorse." It is guaranteed that right after you buy a house, you'll freak out. She'd warn people of this, and give them two M&M's and say "take these when you feel it coming on, and go to bed - it'll be better in the morning" ; ) You're feeling a very normal emotional response to a big purchase. It happens to all of us : )

Give the curriculum that you love a good try for a month - odds are both you and your DS will love it - at least as much as any kid "loves" a curriculum.

KG readiness tests have very little to do with mastery of the material - at least in our district. They're more to do with being coordinated enuf to use scissors, and self-disciplined enuf to raise your hand, etc. don't put too much stock in the score, - just go with what you know & feel is right for your son.

Post subject: Re: Feeling unsure about the curriculum I chose
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:54 am 

It depends. It depends on you and it depends on the curriculum. I'm not familiar with this one as it didn't come out until I was done, or nearly done, homeschooling. It looks like one I would've tried. :)

*I* am the type of person that likes to start at the beginning and go from there. I would rather speed it up. HOWEVER, you don't have to. There is a board specifically dedicated to chatting about MFW curriculum. I'm sure the offices of the materials would also be happy to talk to you regarding your concerns. MOST curriculum spirals so it comes back to the same concepts over and over (that's how most of us learn). It's entirely possible that you could start your student in a later level if it is a more appropriate fit.

I'm sure you are capable of teaching writing on your own. If you don't feel like you can do it right :mrgreen: there are plenty of materials you can use just for that.

But please understand this. You won't mess up. This is pretty much a "what shall we have for dinner" question. There's no right or wrong curriculum, only better fits. One student may thrive on mac and cheese while another wants their veggies.

I think a boxed curriculum is a great way to go for starting out. Try it out. Don't feel like you HAVE to do every single thing. Make it yours. Use it as a guideline and resource kit. See how it fits. OR, go to the MFW boards and/or contact them directly. (I see there's a chat button for you to be able to talk with a rep online, or call or email.)

Have FUN with it! :)