It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Reading level
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 pm 

That is a good idea, recording him reading to check progress. I did find out something encouraging the other day. He told me that sometimes at night, if he has trouble sleeping, he will read out of his Narnia books. Books I had gotten him years ago, before I knew he would have such difficulty reading. I thought they had just been sitting on the shelf. He said he doesn't get every single word, but he is able to figure out the gist of it. I was shocked he was even reading at all.

I am also having dd go through the program, for a couple reasons. 1.) To help with her vocabulary, grammar, and spelling, and 2.) because I'm paying for it anyways (you can enter 2 students into the program). According to the same assessment, she is reading 2 grades above level, as I suspected.

I really like this program so far. There is a little of everything and the kids really like it. Ds has already reached a part that is very challenging for him and it won't let him move forward until he masters it, so he's doing lots of review on it.

Post subject: Wonderful update!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:13 pm 

So, it's been about 2 months since we started Reading Horizons. They tested Christian's Lexile Measure when he started (I guess that's how schools measure grade level these days) and it was very low. He's still going through the program and they recently rechecked his Lexile Measure. He's had a 280 point gain, bumping him up 3, THREE grade levels!!! Can you tell I'm excited?! He's catching up to his sister!

Saphira hasn't had her Lexile Measure reassessed yet, but she already started out above grade level, so I'm not worried about that. She is making great progress in all other areas, like spelling and vocabulary.

I forgot to mention that we started with a 30 day trial for $10 and after the 30 days, if you don't cancel they would charge you the rest of the money ($180 I believe). Well, it didn't take me long to see that we would be sticking with the program. I got an email that they were doing a Memorial Day deal, where if you were in the first 100 people to sign up, you got $100 off! So, I signed up for the full one year program and got it for $100 less than I had originally planned on. Great deal, and much cheaper than the program we've been using, Barton.

I'm so happy!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:13 am 

Well my dear, it doesn't get much better than THAT!!!!! AWESOME!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:55 am 

So delighted that you're seeing good results! : ) : ) : )