It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Typing advice?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:59 pm 

So, DD is learning to type. I am self taught myself, and not the best typist - to put it mildly - tho I do touch-type (rather like knitting -type one, backspace two ; )

So, my question is this:

IF DD is to become a *proficient* typist - unlike her Mother - when she does her typing exercises is it best to type as fast & accurately as she can, and ignore any mistakes, or is it best to backspace over her mistakes & correct them as she goes? Which teaching technique will make her a better typist in the long run?

I know that Darla is a great typist - perhaps some others of you are - appreciate any educational method insights : )

Post subject: Re: Typing advice?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:35 pm 
Site Owner

I learned by doing drills -- same fingers, alternating fingers, etc. It was the best course I took in high school and allowed me to make good money as a secretary when I was in college. My oldest son used a drill book just like I did, and he types very well. The younger kids used various software programs, and they all type acceptably well.
So, all that said, I'd suggest making sure she is using the correct fingers on the keys and developing the muscle memory. Speed will come later.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:14 pm 

Oh - yes- we're using software for drills. (and I self-taught with drills too - I just have no eye-hand coordination - at all - I'm a klutz!) Over and over! She's finally getting so that her fingers know the places & she's starting timed tests in the software. But, she has a CHOICE of going for speed or fixing her mistakes and getting 100% accuracy by backspacing errors. I guess my question is what is the better work habit? Which will give her the greater success in the long run?

Which did you do when you were learning, Martha? Thanks : )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:47 pm 

I think it's counter productive to go back and fix mistakes. I don't remember doing it and my kids don't do it. I was surprised the program even allows them to. It seems like cheating, to me. The goal is to memorize the keys so well, you don't even have to think about it. And with enough drill, that will happen, and mistakes will be minimal. If she's making a ton of mistakes, you may have to lower the speed, until her accuracy picks up. My kids usually get about 98% accuracy. Our program allows you to set the speed and accuracy goals and once those goals are met, you can increase the speed, but they don't move on until the goals are met. So, they're going to get quicker and more accurate, the more drills they do. Going back to correct mistakes, doesn't help anything, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:06 am 

To clarify why I see it as cheating: I don't see it as accurate, if you have to go back and fix it. So, if you made 10 mistakes, that may indicate you're going too fast and not memorizing the keys, but how will I (or the program) know that, if you go back and fix it. So, it looks like you have 100% accuracy, when you really made 10 mistakes and may need to lower the speed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:48 am 

Thanks, Lisa & Martha - I appreciate the help!

I think you're probably right. Perhaps one of the reasons I'm such a poor typist is that I developed the habit of backspacing!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:39 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
I think it's counter productive to go back and fix mistakes. I don't remember doing it and my kids don't do it. I was surprised the program even allows them to. It seems like cheating, to me. The goal is to memorize the keys so well, you don't even have to think about it. And with enough drill, that will happen, and mistakes will be minimal. If she's making a ton of mistakes, you may have to lower the speed, until her accuracy picks up. My kids usually get about 98% accuracy. Our program allows you to set the speed and accuracy goals and once those goals are met, you can increase the speed, but they don't move on until the goals are met. So, they're going to get quicker and more accurate, the more drills they do. Going back to correct mistakes, doesn't help anything, as far as I know.

Ditto.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:39 pm 

I agree. Slower and accurately are better to begin with. Also, playing piano, if that's an option. ;) And don't look at those fingers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:38 am 

Drill, Drill, Drill with accuracy and that means going slow enough to be accurate. Speed will come.

I took a half semester of typing in high school (early 80s) and was the fastest in our class. That one class made me an excellent typist and I got my first job based on my high speed. I have relied on those skills throughout my adult life and I'm now the admin assistant at my church so they still get constant use at the age of 49. My work life over the years would look drastically different if I had not taken that one class.

Never watch your fingers! If you do, it's a sure fire way that you'll make mistakes and slow down. I know that when I pay attention to individual letters I also slow down. Read the word and let muscle memory do the work of getting the right letters.

Those drills are critical. I slacked off in high school and did not thoroughly drill the numbers (top row) of the keyboard and I now pay the price. I struggle with getting those in without looking. UGH!!!

If your daughter is watching the screen to catch mistakes she's surely not reading words and letting her brain work her fingers. She's processing other stuff instead. There are times when my brain just isn't clicking and I lose accuracy. I then have to slow down and get back to the basics until I can move more quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:00 am 

Thanks, Neesa : )

I had to drop out of typing in high school because it was ruining my GPA! All the rest of the kids did better than me!

So, now I don't know what I need to know about typing.

I really appreciate EVERYONE's help! : )