It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Typing advice?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:12 am 

Neesa in FL wrote:
Drill, Drill, Drill with accuracy and that means going slow enough to be accurate. Speed will come.

I took a half semester of typing in high school (early 80s) and was the fastest in our class. That one class made me an excellent typist and I got my first job based on my high speed. I have relied on those skills throughout my adult life and I'm now the admin assistant at my church so they still get constant use at the age of 49. My work life over the years would look drastically different if I had not taken that one class.

Never watch your fingers! If you do, it's a sure fire way that you'll make mistakes and slow down. I know that when I pay attention to individual letters I also slow down. Read the word and let muscle memory do the work of getting the right letters.

Those drills are critical. I slacked off in high school and did not thoroughly drill the numbers (top row) of the keyboard and I now pay the price. I struggle with getting those in without looking. UGH!!!

If your daughter is watching the screen to catch mistakes she's surely not reading words and letting her brain work her fingers. She's processing other stuff instead. There are times when my brain just isn't clicking and I lose accuracy. I then have to slow down and get back to the basics until I can move more quickly.

Neesa, just curious. Do you play an instrument?

Post subject: Re: Typing advice?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:29 pm 

Sadly, no. I have always felt that there is a piano player in me that just needed lessons as a kid.