It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:04 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Homeschooling advice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:28 pm 

Hello! I am new to homeschooling my 9th grade daughter. I guess I am just feeling overwhelmed with what I need to do. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank You! :D

Post subject: Re: Homeschooling advice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:03 am 

Welcome! You can do this! I have a 10th grader this year and last year was a big adjustment for us because her day got so much longer, but we have been homeschooling since the beginning. Coming into it from being in public or private school your day will probably seem shorter depending on what curriculum you use. Have you made a choice for curriculum or do you have any questions about choosing curriculum? I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:49 am 

Shellyandjohn2013 wrote:
Hello! I am new to homeschooling my 9th grade daughter. I guess I am just feeling overwhelmed with what I need to do. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank You! :D

Welcome! http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/reso ... /index.php

Above, there is a pull down menu that has a lot of wonderful resources. Some options to consider, if you do not know about them...

#1 -- Check out your local community college. If you child scores high enough, they could take classes there. My local community college has two types of programs for high schoolers....Collegiate High which is "high school" at the college. In essence, they have a counselor and a principal to oversee their courses and attendance. The other option is Dual Enrollment. You do everything, yourself in terms of registering for classes and making sure your child is attending the classes.

#2 -- CLEP. Google.

#3 -- Classical Conversations. Google.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:49 am 

Congrats on deciding to homeschool! Even seasoned homeschoolers sometimes get cold feet when their students hit high school.

Do you know your states requirements? You will need to track what your student does but keep an open mind. Think about classes that are outside the box like Home Ec or Practical Living. I kept a running list of things my dd learned and did outside her regular curriculum and most fell into practical living. Changing a tire, working at the Remembrance Wall, volunteering at a veterinarian, traveling to another country (Canada), drawing a landscape. These would not form a class on their own so I grouped them all into one class.

Your curriculum will decide how your days go for the most part. Are you on your own or with an umbrella school that grades papers and tracks work?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:23 pm 
Site Owner

You can do it!!! We're here to offer you encouragement. Please check out our resource pages on the pull down menu ^ up there. Under editorials and testimonials, you'll find some articles about how other overwhelmed moms made it through. :0)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:43 pm 

Our son decided to homeschool for high school after being home sick with bronchitis and seeing how his little sisters spent their homeschooling day. Since it was not planned, I ordered a curriculum-in-a-box from https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Home/hMain.aspx

You get everything needed, and they offer a service that grades the papers, keeps records and if you continue through 12th grade, will issue a diploma. My son opted out for 10th, and unschooled (outside of the Hewitt program). That's another option for dedicated students who know what they want to study. He was able to use his time more wisely, and finished high school in 3 yrs not 4.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26