It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:58 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Homeschooling with severe pms
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 pm 

Hi homeschooling mamas. I have been on this board before, but haven't since the new upgrade. Anyway, I am getting really overwhelmed. I can have severe pms at times. I am under the care of an obgyn (who called it pmdd), taking supplements and such but I was wondering if any of you had any advice on how to do this thing called homeschooling (and/or being home with the kids all day) when I just don't want to even be out of bed. (which isn't an option -- my 4 kids range in age from 1 to 8) It is so bad that at times I want to send the older ones to school just to have a break. maybe that sounds terrible to you, but I am so overwhelmed.

Post subject: Re: Homeschooling with severe pms
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:22 pm 

Doesn't sound terrible at all. Sounds like a cry of desperation of a hurting Momma. I do not get such severe pms, but I have had issues the past couple years of severe nerve? pain down the front of my legs from hip to knee during the first couple days of my period and it used to have me wanting to wrap in a blanket (heat helped) on the couch all day long. Thankfully my two youngest are 13 and almost 12 now, so they have been able to do without much from me during those days.

I have been taking unsulphered black strap molasses the past couple months to help increase my iron, which has been very low. This has made a big difference for me. Not saying that this would be beneficial for you, since you already are under the care of someone, but perhaps there is something else your body is needing beyond what you are already taking that might help some. Hope that you find relief soon!!

Since you can not stay in bed during this time, perhaps you can schedule ahead to allow for less of you overall being needed for things. Maybe have some toys/games/movies... set aside for these days that would be fresh and fun for your kids. I know the youngest couldn't be amused in the same ways as the olders, but it might help ease some overall needs of them all. Also, could you possibly arrange for another homeschooling teen to come in for a couple days or so each month as a mother's helper? Either for a small pay or simply for some experience?

I also would not worry about keeping any kind of homeschooling schedule during the worst days. Your kids will be getting plenty of learning anyway, and will be able to do what ever you have scheduled the rest of the days of the month/year, so perhaps just downsizing your expectations of the housework, schoolwork, outside activities to ease as much as possible to make those days less stress filled.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 pm 
Site Owner

Relax and make a plan. When you are feeling good, you need to get a box of materials ready for when you are feeling bad. These could be art supplies, special toys for the little one, books to read aloud, books on CD or tape to listen to, songs to sing along with, etc. Keep these put away EXCEPT when you feel bad so that they will be a treat to your children and keep them occupied for a good amount of time. Then follow doctor's orders on your bad days and keep the children busy with the special items.

I used to have lots of PMS issues, but cleared them up completely with Evening Primrose Oil mixed with flax oil. I bought this in liquid (not pills!) in the refrigerated section of the health food store and took 1 tablespoon per 100 pounds of my weight. All issues disappeared by taking this daily!! I did also eat healthier food. (More junk food gave LOTS more symptoms!) I also decided that I wasn't going to allow this to rule my life, so I slowed down during the bad times, but I didn't stop. :0) You can do it!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am 

I second what Martha and Pam have said.
I also want to add: Do you have gates to keep your youngest dc from having full access to the house? On days when you just want to stay in bed, perhaps you can move to the sofa and keep your dc (the littles anyway) in the same room with you.
They can play, watch tv, look at books with you, etc. without you having to keep getting up and down.
The 8 y/o should be able to prepare a simple lunch for you all on these worst days. Just teach them what to do on the day you do feel well. This will help you when you are on the sofa and the baby needs a snack, or you want a sandwich.
I'll be praying you. I do know how hard it can be when you are ill and trying to keep a house of kids happy. (((Hugs))) (and yes it's ok to skip school "lessons" on those days.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:33 pm 

Thank you ladies for your compassion and suggestions. It means a lot. I do take EPO and flax oil capsules from Barlean's. I should look into the actual oil. I thought about getting gates for the back of the house a while ago. Not sure why I decided not to. :) Oh, maybe because one of the openings is extra wide. Will have to do more research. On my good days I will purpose to be more disciplined with the kids. Dealing with complaining, arguing, disobedience and sibling bickering doesn't help! Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:58 am 

I myself am struggling with nasty menstral cycles now. I think it is because I am in my 40's. I am not seeing a doctor. It is very hard to function some days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:20 am 

New here :) This thread helped me immensely and I was wondering if any of you have any updates on how things are going? Very much struggling with PMDD here, and homeschooling three very spirited young boys, two of which we are seeking OT and other help for behavior & other issues, and one 2-year-old who is, well, very 2 :) Trying to trust the Lord and His infinite wisdom in giving me all of this, and not feeling like I'm up to the task...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:00 am 
Site Owner

HI and welcome! God promises that He will give you everything you need to accomplish the task in front of you. :0) I'd suggest getting out of the house for a walk. Let the boys ride their bikes and put the little one in the stroller. Exercise will help tame their spirits! Praying for you now!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:24 pm 

Thank you so much for your encouragement and suggestions, Martha R. :) It's helped a lot just to find this board and read about women who are experiencing the same challenges I am :) God bless you for supporting others and for praying for us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:40 pm 

Hello Mama's. I came across your website when searching for ideas on how to homeschool with pmdd. I am the mother of 3 beautiful children ages 2, 6, and 8. I have been at wits end with what to do about my cycle. I have researched and researched and tried many things. My obgyn has upped my bc and I currently take vitamin D, fish oil, multi-vitamin, and wellbutrin 150 for this. I'm almost to the point that this may be my "thorn" to deal with at this time in my life. :) I get SO frustrated every month. Things go from being in order to falling completely apart by the time it's here. After my cycle is over I am able to resume back to all of my "normal" activities like exercising, housework, etc. and I am ALWAYS playing catch up. Once I finally have it somewhat back together here it comes again. What can I do to keep the house from falling apart during this time? My husband helps out but I don't want him to have to do everything. The kids will do chores to help but they are not to the point where I don't have to stand on top of them to get them done. I am able to follow a schedule when I'm not dealing with pms. But, during that time of the month my mind is EVERYWHERE. I cannot focus for nothing! I enjoy homeschooling my kids and I try to read books on the couch to them or do what I can. But, I find myself having them watch a lot of tv to get through these days. That is not what I want at all! I want the kids to have stability but I find it hard when I encounter these issues every month. I have toyed with the idea of putting them in a school but that's not what I want at all. We end having to homeschool during the summer months to make-up for some of the work missed during these days. I loved the ideas I saw listed above and I'm already starting to think about how I can prepare for the next cycle. Any more ideas or comments are always appreciated. It is SO good to know I am not alone on this! :) One thing is for sure: It makes me have to fully rely on God during these trials.