It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: How much time spent learning?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:55 pm 

https://monkeymum29.wordpress.com/2015/ ... -precious/

Now relax. :)

Post subject: Re: How much time spent learning?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:15 pm 

Interesting article - definitely worth keeping for reference. She summarized what I know so well from my own school days, and from my family members' many years of teaching.

But . . .

I take issue with her idea (repeated throughout the article) that time spent on religion is not time spent on learning. Quite the contrary - it's the most important learning time!

AND

I don't think that lets me relax. My goal is not to "measure up" to public schools (otherwise we would have taken the last several years off ;) (Yes, that's a joke - well, sort of ) My goal is to prepare a servant of God for His Kingdom - THAT is a 24/7 Plus some task that I can NEVER be sure I am doing well enough!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:26 pm 

Maybe you are an exception, girlfriend. ;-) Most of us have felt guilty for the time spent "doing school". If it isn't long enough, if it's too long. All we have to compare to is our own time spent in school. :(

I think her comments on religious training meant she didn't agree with the training maybe? How many of us even consider religious training as part of school? We did have our Bible class but it was only a small part of their "religious training". I'm sure you are doing an AWESOME job!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:38 pm 

You're so sweet, Sis : )

I DEFINITELY consider religious ed part of school. My Mom once told me that in the early years of the US (Early Colonial/Pioneer days) the Bible was often the ONLY text available to a student - from that they learned ALL their subjects - reading, history, math, logic, what have you. I greatly admire that model (tho I do use abundant computer resources ; )

As I mentioned in a recent blog post, my Junior High spend THREE HOURS A DAY on religion - and those were by far my most academically productive years - in that those were the years in which I learned how to learn, and also learned many of the priorities I still believe in (tho of course not all - it was a different denomination than I am now)

I log our hours here. I suspect that if everyone did that, there'd be a lot less guilt feelings. I think we're hitting the 1/2 way mark for the year today (our state requires 900 hours a year). Yesterday was unusual- but we logged 10 ours! DD just wouldn't quit studying - despite multiple invitations on my part! :D