It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: How many days a week
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:18 pm 

Good for you! Glad everything worked out to everyone's good. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:48 pm 

One other nice thing to possibly consider once your mom gets there is, she might really enjoy taking the kids to an event or two, and that could give you more snuggle time at home, where hermits are most happy and relaxed! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:23 pm 

On the subject of socialization. When we were with dh's family recently, one of the kids accidentally tore ds's favorite shirt and he was crying about it. It was a cheap old thrift store shirt that ds was about to outgrow anyway, but he was crying. Afterwards, dh's BIL told us that we need to get him into sports and he needs to interact more with kids to "toughen him up". He was pretty much talking to himself because his wife kept telling him to shut up and mind his own business and dh said that we do get out of the house and he does play with other kids. Ironically, just the day after he said this, ds played for 3 hrs with some boys at the pool, lol.

But it's funny because after he said this, dh's sister said, "I have noticed that Christian is very polite, though." Lol! Uh oh, he's polite! We better hurry up and get him toughened up so he can cut that out!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:26 pm 

Oh, for pete's sake! Who needs "toughened up" in this world? I don't remember "tough" as being one of the Fruits of the Spirit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:54 pm 

I keep thinking about your "toughen up" story. I had a relative who at age 13 was very big - over 6 foot, I guess. One day, he stepped on a nail, and it went through his foot. He laid down and cried like a baby. I was a little surprised by the fact that his response was what I would have expected from a younger kid (but, unlike your BIL - I didn't volunteer than info! ; ) Well, 5 years later he was on the initial invasion force into Iraq - ended up doing 4 *combat* tours. Did some pretty impressive and "tough" stuff.

If a little kid cries over the normal upsets of life, that doesn't mean he's going to be a cowardly adult. It just means he's a little kid *now*

Don't let your BIL give you a hard time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:03 pm 

Very true Anna. Thanks for sharing that story.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:58 pm 

Wow, I totally forgot to respond to this! Lol, sorry, it must be my ADD! ;)

Anyways, that is true. Although, I've also stepped on a nail and had it go through my foot and that's nothing to mess with, lol! But I was a young kid and didn't lie down and cry like a baby, lol, so you're probably right about that 13 yr old.

But back to your point on toughness, dh's BIL said that he used to get beat up by "thugs" until one day he fought back and they never messed with him again. I was like, "Well, we don't typically walk down the street past any "thugs" and ds doesn't have to worry about school bullies, so I think he'll be ok." Lol. He has good intentions and likes to think he's all tough, but he's not and he tries to "toughen up" his own sons, but they seem like good kids. His sons are 9 and 12 and still cry over stuff, lol. But I have dealt with comments about homeschooling and socialization from dh's family before, so it's nothing new. This is the guy that said "They just let you teach your own kids and do whatever you want?" after I told him that TX does not regulate homeschooling. They are always asking ds if he has friends and if he plays with other kids and stuff. I think homeschooling is a completely foreign idea to them.

I don't think crying over something "small" when you're a kid is any indication of your toughness as an adult. Adults cry, too, sometimes over seemingly small things. I can think of much more important traits I'd rather my son have, like hmmm, I don't know, maybe humility, honesty, kindness......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:37 am 

"I can think of much more important traits I'd rather my son have, like hmmm, I don't know, maybe humility, honesty, kindness......"

Amen, Sister!