It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: College Credit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:33 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
My suggestion is to let him get the computer certifications and the AA degree. Then enlist with the IT rating. He can sign up with a 4-5 year enlistment for just A school or go to B school -- the more advanced course -- for a 7 year hitch. During that time, he can work on his degree with the Navy paying for it, so that when he gets out he has a BS, an AA, the certifications, and seven years of experience. That should put him in six figure income categories. We have a friend who is doing this...

The new GI Bill has decent benefits for AFTER your enlistment. We have a family member who is taking that route, and it is working well.

But, getting your degree *while* enlisted is exceedingly uncommon. Yes, the benefits are great (75% of tuition for most courses - 90% if its career-related, etc) BUT, there are a million situations in which college does not work. You generally cannot go to school while deployed - which happens a lot. And, if you're deployed in the middle of a semester - guess what? If you are transferred (usually about every 2 years), you might have to enroll in a new school that won't accept the credits of your old one. If you work evening shift (while most campus courses are offered) you cannot go. And, if you're going to a class, and mid-semester they put you on a different shift, guess what? Most folks - at best - take ONE course at a time. If they're super-hard-workers and VERY ambitious - two. Which means a bachelors takes nearly 10 years of 70 hour weeks (40 - 50 hours work plus 6 hours classes and 12 hours study time) - with no family life.

I know a lot of folks who "are going to college while enlisted" but I've only known 2 who got a *degree* in fewer than 8 years - and 3 more who got a degree in 20 (that's right TWENTY) years of trying. Oh, yeah and there was the ONE guy I met who went to school full time for 12 out of 20 years and got a grad degree - he's kinda like the guy who wins the p0werba11 10ttery.

ETA: IMHO - as a Vet myself, there are only two good reasons to enlist in the military or accept a commission 1) if you're drafted and have no choice or 2) you feel that God wants you to serve your country by defending it with your life & limb - possibly to the death. All other reasons, IMO - are inadequate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:46 am 

Martha R. wrote:
My suggestion is to let him get the computer certifications and the AA degree. Then enlist with the IT rating. He can sign up with a 4-5 year enlistment for just A school or go to B school -- the more advanced course -- for a 7 year hitch. During that time, he can work on his degree with the Navy paying for it, so that when he gets out he has a BS, an AA, the certifications, and seven years of experience. That should put him in six figure income categories. We have a friend who is doing this...

Thank you, Martha.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:40 am 

Like Anna says, I wouldn't join the military with concrete plans of what you are going to do, because it won't happen that way. They do whatever they want with you and don't care what you want. Between deployments, trainings, exercises, work, family, etc. it's hard to do school. I know a couple people who were enlisted, actually separated from the military to get their degrees, and then went back in as officers. I can't think of anyone I knew who got their degree in the military and that was the AF, the "easiest" of the branches. I don' t know how true this is, but before I separated, they said people were going to start deploying every 18 months or something like that. So much for your goals, ambitions, and family. I think you should only join if you plan on being the governments puppet and have no goals, dreams, desires of your own.

I do think it's great that your son already has so much ambition and that should carry him far in life. It sounds like he will find a way to do what he wants in life and be successful. Actually, he sounds so ambitious that the military would just be a hindrance to him because of the things listed above. Almost everyone I knew was unhappy and unmotivated. The military extinguishes that flame you have when you first join. I hope none of my kids ever join.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:49 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
Like Anna says, I wouldn't join the military with concrete plans of what you are going to do, because it won't happen that way. They do whatever they want with you and don't care what you want. Between deployments, trainings, exercises, work, family, etc. it's hard to do school. I know a couple people who were enlisted, actually separated from the military to get their degrees, and then went back in as officers. I can't think of anyone I knew who got their degree in the military and that was the AF, the "easiest" of the branches. I don' t know how true this is, but before I separated, they said people were going to start deploying every 18 months or something like that. So much for your goals, ambitions, and family. I think you should only join if you plan on being the governments puppet and have no goals, dreams, desires of your own.

I do think it's great that your son already has so much ambition and that should carry him far in life. It sounds like he will find a way to do what he wants in life and be successful. Actually, he sounds so ambitious that the military would just be a hindrance to him because of the things listed above. Almost everyone I knew was unhappy and unmotivated. The military extinguishes that flame you have when you first join. I hope none of my kids ever join.

Is this for Active Duty or Reservists?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:55 pm 

The point of the reserves is to be able to be called to duty - and reservists regularly ARE called to duty - even the "inactive" reserves who receive no pay or benefits for their reserve duty still get called up. If you sign up for the reserves, you have to do it (especially in wartime - as we are now) with the idea that you WILL be active duty - unpredictably so. They can call you up just after your new baby arrives, or while one of your parents is in the hospital, or when you're just about to sit for the big exam.

I was inactive reserve after my active duty time - while I was not called up, another female from my home town, my branch of service, and my career field was. And, I was told I'd be in a "safe" (away from combat) job. But, when I saw the war coverage, the FIRST strike in the war was at an office just like I used to work at.

If a person signs up - it has to be with a willingness to give life, limb & suffer PTSD for their country.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:21 pm 

StacyinTN wrote:
LisaTX wrote:

Is this for Active Duty or Reservists?

I was active duty. I did think about going reserves, but I got laughed at when I mentioned not wanting to deploy because I was going to be a stay at home mom. It may be better in the reserves, I don't know, but you are still the property of the government and I guess it is kind of silly to join the reserves for any other reason than to serve your country, because you're basically saying, "Here I am, ready and willing to go wherever you send me whenever you call me." It would have to take priority over anything and everything in your life. I'm glad I realized that before I went reserves. Most people don't really grasp the full weight of what they're doing when they hand themselves over to the government.

And recruiters are lying liars, who lie. Don't trust anything they say. They're worse than car salesmen. They even encourage people with serious medical conditions to lie about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:15 pm 

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/09/ ... i-gay.html

Stacy -this is something else people should be aware of when they enlist. This case was noteworthy because the target was a CHAPLAIN - prosecuted for preaching the TRUTH of Scripture! But, for regular folks in the military, you can expect persecution for your faith - it's getting worse every year. I worked with a man whose career was ruined when he refused to visit "ladies of the eve*ning" with his boss. He was a Mormon and stood up for his faith. His career was ruined as a result.

Every young person should know that this kind of thing is rampant before he or she decides about enlisting.